Unfortunately, kidney stones are very common these days and can attack any age group. Wondering, is beer good for kidney stones? Mention kidney stones and everyone within earshot winces because we have all heard how painful these tiny stones can be. So if you want to be stone-free, you’re probably following the common advice to drink lots of liquids. But instead of focusing on how much you drink, the crucial question is what you drink. I have done a lot of research on this particular topic and found that other than water there are certain other beverages that can help you get rid of kidney stones and help them to pass faster, and one of these magical drinks is beer. Beer particularly found to be helpful in protecting against kidney stones.
How are Kidney Stones Formed?
Kidneys are the most important part of the human body. They are the essential part of our excretory system. Their function is to filter the blood, remove the chemical waste products and excess water which is present in the body in the form of urine. But at times, urine gets highly concentrated due to lack of water intake and dehydration. This further leads to accumulation of the minerals and salts present in them to form tiny crystals. Eventually, these minute crystals clump together further resulting in the formation of large mass called as kidney stones.
Causes of Kidney Stones
- Lack of water intake
- Poor diet
- Mineral imbalance in the body
- Lack of exercise
- Intake of calcium supplements
- High dietary intake of animal protein
- Food that contains high amounts of oxalates
- High Blood Pressure
- Genetic history of kidney stones
- Suppressing urges to urinate
Is Beer Good For Kidney Stones?
We have always been advised and told that drinking plenty of water helps prevent stones from forming but actually, there are other fluids that can be even more effective. One such magical drink really exists which is BEER. Beer not only makes you feel happy but at the same time, it also helps in kicking out the stones from your kidneys. So let’s check some amazing benefits that beer is loaded with, which prevents your body from kidney stones and helps your body to fight the battle against those tiny painful stones.
- Beer increases the fluid volume of urine. This flushes out your kidney stones easily.
- Beer removes the present kidney stones from your body and prevents reformation of kidney stones.
- This magical drink stimulates the kidneys to work harder to excrete the by-products of alcohol metabolism and this allows you to urinate more frequently. In fact, urinating is actually a natural way for the kidneys and bladder to cleanse themselves; thus, urinating because of drinking a couple of beers stirs up the bladder, prevents the coalescence of mineral crystals, and actually excrete those minerals while they are still at their smallest. This results in reduced risk towards beer and kidney stones.
- Beer helps to increase the urge to urinate more than normal, this helps your body to pass the kidney stones faster.
- Did you know? Beer drinkers are less likely to get kidney stones.
- Beer acts as a natural diuretic acid.
- In addition, research has also found that drinking beer dilates the urinary tract allowing for “bigger” stones to be passed through, something not possible without experiencing a lot of pain in non-beer drinkers.
- If you are one of those who can benefit from a more productive way to mitigate kidney stone formation, it wouldn’t hurt to regularly grab a pint every now and then. When you do that, you can believe you are doing your kidneys a very healthy favor.