Chicken in the most preferred non-vegetarian food item all across India. Non-veg lovers love chicken in all forms like Starters, soups and main course. The popular chicken dishes in India are Butter Chicken, Tandoori Chicken, chicken tikka masala and Chicken tikka. Chicken curry is preferred one among the all variety of chicken dishes.
Let us see different chicken curry recipes from different regions of India:
Maharashtrian Chicken Curry Recipe
- 1 kg chicken pieces of your choice, skin removed
- 2 tbsps vinegar
- 2 large onions cut into quareters
- tbsps coconut powder/ fresh grated coconut
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 1 tbsps ginger paste
- 2 tsps coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 3 tbsps vegetable/ canola/ sunflower cooking oil
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 large tomatoes chopped fine
- 2 green chillies slit lengthwise (optional)
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 2″ cubes
- Salt to taste
- Chopped fresh coriander to garnish
- Wash the pieces of chicken and put into a large plastic bowl. Pour the vinegar over the pieces and mix well to ensure all the pieces are well coated with vinegar. Keep aside for 10 minutes. Wash well under running water. This gets rid of any excessive poultry smell and taste! Keep pieces aside for later.
- Put the chopped onion, coconut powder, ginger and garlic pastes, powdered spices into a food processor and grind to a smooth paste using as little water as possible.
- Heat the oil in a deep pan on a medium flame. Add the above paste to the hot oil and fry till the oil begins to separate from the masala. Stir frequently to prevent the masala from burning. Now add the chicken and fry till pieces turn opaque (whitish).
- Add coconut milk, green chillies and potatoes. Season with salt to taste. Stir well.
- Cook till the chicken and potatoes are done. This dish should have a medium-thick gravy so if it is less add warm water and cook for a few minutes. If gravy is too thin, boil some off.
- Now add chopped tomatoes and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Turn heat off and gently spoon curry into serving dish.
- Garnish with chopped fresh coriander leaves and serve with rice and a green salad or a simple vegetarian side dish.
Goa Chicken Curry Recipe
- 2 tablespoon(s) oil
- 2 onions finely chopped
- 12 medium pieces (about 800 grams) of chicken
- ½ teaspoon(s) turmeric powder
- 2 cup(s) water
- salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon(s) tamarind pulp
- ½ teaspoon(s) equal mix of mace and nutmeg powders For the Paste
- 1 cup(s) grated coconut
- 10 whole dry red Kashmiri chillies
- 4 cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks of 1″ each
- 2 tablespoon(s) each coriander and poppy seeds (khus khus)
- 1 teaspoon(s) each of blackpeppercorns, carom and cumin seeds
- 2 star anise (phoolpatri)
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- Dry roast the grated coconut in a non-stick pan on low heat stirring every now and then for about 3 minutes or till it is reddish-brown and aromatic. Remove onto a plate. In the same pan dry roast all other ingredients for the paste except the garlic briefly till they turn a shade darker and give off an aroma. Grind to a paste with the coconut, garlic and water as required to make a thick fine paste.
- Heat the oil in a thick-bottomed pan and add the onions. Saute on medium level for about 4 minutes or till they are browned.
- Add the chicken pieces and fry on medium-low heat for about 5 minutes or till golden on all sides.
- Add the ground paste and turmeric powder. Fry on medium-low heat for about 5 minutes ot till oil separates
- Add water, salt and mix well. Bring to a boil. Add the tamarind pulp and the mace-nutmeg powders. Cover and simmer low heat for about 12 minutes or till the chicken is fully cooked and tender.
- TIP: Traditionally, chicken is cut into comparatively smaller pieces for this recipe.
Kashmir Chicken Curry Recipe
- 450g chicken
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 inch ginger pounded with 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp oil or ghee
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 3 cloves
- 1 star anise
- 3 medium sized onions, sliced
- 1 pip garlic, pounded
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 2 tbsp kurma powder
- 1 tbsp ground cashewnut paste
- 1 cup fresh milk
- 1/2 cup carrot, sliced (optional)
- 1/2 cup green pepper, sliced (optional)
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- Cut chicken into cubes and season with turmeric powder and pounded ginger with cumin.
- Heat oil or ghee, add spices and fry till fragrant.
- Add onions and garlic, mix coriander powder, kurma powder and ground cashewnut paste in a little hot water and add to mixture.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes on low fire.
- Then add seasoned chicken and stir well, followed by milk, salt, carrots, green pepper and cook covered till chicken is tender.
- Lastly, add garam masala.
- Serve hot with parathas or chapatis.
Kerala Chicken Curry Recipe
- 15 medium sized pieces (about 800 grams) of chicken
- 2 medium onion(s) sliced
- 2 cup(s) grated coconut
- 8 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon(s) each of coriander and red chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon(s) juliennes of ginger
- 2 green chilli(es) slit
- 2 whole red chilli(es)
- 1 teaspoon(s) turmeric powder
- 12 curry leaves
- 2 tablespoon(s) oil
- 2 cup(s) water
- salt to taste
- finely chopped coriander leaves for garnishing (optional)
- Heat half the oil in a heavy-bottomed pan on medium level till hot.
- Add the garlic, coriander and red chilli powders along with the grated coconut.
- Roast on low heat while stirring frequently till the coconut is evenly dark brown and aromatic.
- Allow to cool and grind with little water to make a thick paste.
- Heat the remaining oil in the same pan and add the curry leaves, ginger, green chilli(es) along with the chopped onions.
- Fry on medium level for about 3 minutes or till the onions are light brown in color.
- Add the chicken, turmeric powder, whole red chilli(es), water and the coconut paste.
- Sprinkle salt to taste.
- Mix well.
- Cover and cook on low heat for about 25 minutes or till the chicken is tenderized.
- Garnish with finely chopped coriander.
Hyderabad Chicken Curry Recipe
- 800gms Chicken (sliced into 8 medium sized pieces)
- 2 Chopped onions
- 2 flakes Curry leaves
- 1tsp Red chilli powder
- 1tsp Turmeric powder
- 2 Chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp Lemon juice
- 2tbs Oil
- 2 cups Water
- Salt to taste
- Finely chopped coriander leaves for garnishing
For the Paste
- 2tsp Poppy seeds (khus khus)
- 6 Whole red chillies
- 6tbs Grated coconut (optional)
- 1tsp Coriander seeds
- 1tsp Cumin seeds
- 1tsp Fennel
- 1″ piece Cinnamon
- 2 Cloves
- 2 Green cardamoms
- 2 tsp Chopped ginger
- 2 tsp Chopped garlic
- Oil to roast
- Heat some oil and roast all the ingredients for the paste except chopped ginger and garlic.
- Allow to cool and grind to a paste along with ginger and garlic.
- Keep aside.
- Heat 2tbs oil in a heavy bottom pan and fry onions till golden brown.
- Add curry leaves, chilly powder, turmeric powder and ground paste.
- Saute well.
- Add chopped tomatoes and fry till oil separates.
- Put chicken pieces and saute for a while.
- Mix well by adding lemon juice, water and salt to taste.
- Cover and cook on a slow flame till the chicken is fully tender.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.