Slumdog Millionaire is a 2008 British drama film directed by Danny Boyle and written by Simon Beaufoy. Slumdog Millionaire had a limited release on 12 November 2008 to critical acclaim and awards success.
Set in India, it tells the story of Jamal, a poor young chaiwala(a office boy in a certain call center company) who becomes the biggest quiz-show winner in history, only to be sent to jail on accusations that he cheated.
Narrated in the first person, the film then follows the life of the young boy from slum as he explains to police inspector, just how he managed to answer twelve random questions, by pure luck.This is the enchanting movie about love and destiny.
The film is based on the novel ‘Q and A’ by Vikas Swarup, an Indian diplomat.
Loveleen Tandan (co-director: India)
Simon Beaufoy (screenplay)
Vikas Swarup (novel)
* Dev Patel as Jamal Malik
* Madhur Mittal as Salim, Jamal’s brother.
* Freida Pinto as Latika, the girl with whom Jamal Malik is in love.
* Anil Kapoor as Prem Kumar, the game show host.
* Irfan Khan as the Police Inspector.
* Mahesh Manjrekar as Javed.
* Ankur Vikal as Maman.
It is already screened at many film festivals and will officially release in Jan, Feb 2009 worldwide.
Soundtrack: A. R. Rahman
Rahman’s score received a 2008 Golden Globe nomination for Best Original Score.
The film won eight out of ten Academy Awards it was nominated for, including Best Picture and Best Director, Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Cinematography, Best Sound Mixing, Best Film Editing, Best Original Score, and Best Original Song (two songs were nominated from the film; “Jai Ho” won the award), losing only Best Sound Editing.
* Won: Best Motion Picture – Drama
* Won: Best Director – Motion Picture – Danny Boyle
* Won: Best Screenplay – Simon Beaufoy
* Won: Best Original Score – A. R. Rahman
Another 20 wins & 17 nominations