Sarson ka saag is the mixture of Spinach and mustard leaves where as Makki (corn) ki roti is the Indian bread made using makki ka atta. The dish “Makki ki Roti and Sarson ka Saag” is the most popular desi cuisine that hails from North Indian states Punjab, Haryana and UP. It is served with a dollop of homemade white butter on top of the saag and roti accompanied by lassi / chhas along with the Mooli (white radish) salad.
Makki ki Roti:
The dish not only accompanies Saag but many other curries like Kadhi, Aloo tamatar ki sabji and Urad Chane ki daal. Try it to believe it.
- 2 cups Corn Flour (Makki ka atta)
- Grated Radish / Grated Boiled Potato (Optional)
- Salt (optional)
- Warm Water
- Knead the makki (corn) ka atta with warm water just before cooking the rotis.
- While kneading, add some grated radish and salt. To roll it, put a square of polythene paper on the kitchen platform.
- On this put a ball of the kneaded dough. Cover with another piece of polythene and then press with the ball of your palm till you get the size of a roti.
- This roti is slightly thicker than the normal roti. Remove the polythene cover and transfer the roti to a hot tava (skillet). Cook on low heat, turning till both sides are roasted.
- Apply some ghee.
- You can also put some ghee on Tava i.e. you can shallow fry the roti to make Makki ka Paratha
Sarson Ka Saag:
In North India it is a very common dish served in breakfast, lunch and dinner. There are two options of making saag, one is with tadka and the other is without tadka
Sarson ka Saag with Onion Tadka
- 1 kg Mustard Green (sarson finely chopped)
- 1/4 kg Spinach Finely chopped
- 1 cup Water
- 2 Red chilies
- 4 Garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 cm piece Ginger (minced)
- 2 tbsp Gram flour
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 2 Green chilies (minced)
- Salt to taste
- Boil sarson and spinach in 1 cup of water until cooked.
- Drain excess water and mash the vegetables. Keep aside.
- Heat about 4 tbsp of ghee in a pan.
- Add green chillies, garlic, ginger and broken red chillies.
- Saute the spices till brown.
- Now add the mashed vegetables and salt.
- Make paste of the gram flour with a little water.
- Add it to the above mixture.
- Cook for about half an hour.
- Top with 1 tbsp of butter.
- Serve with makkai ki roti.
Sarson ka Saag with Onion and Tomato Tadka
- 2 bunch sarson ( Mustard leaves) greens, cleaned & chopped
- 1 small onion minced
- 1/2 tsp. each ginger and garlic minced
- 1large tomato, blanched & diced
- 3 green chilies, chopped
- 1 tbsp. maize flour
- 1/2 tsp. garam masala
- 1/2 tsp. Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp. Red chili powder
- 1/2 lemon juice
- 6 tbsp. ghee
- 1 tbsp. oil
- A pinch Asafoetida
- Salt according to taste
- Heat Ghee (clarified butter) in a pressure cooker and add asafetida to it and then add all the spices ( garam masala, red chili powder, turmeric powder) mustard, tomato, green chilies and salt.
- Cover tightly and Pressure cook till done. (2 whistles). Mash to a very fine paste. Blend flour with 2 tablespoons water and put in. Keep on stirring till the saag turns dry.
- Heat oil in a pan, add onion, ginger-garlic paste and saute till brown. Add it to saag , mix well and serve hot.