Recipe for Upma
Need a Upma Recipe? Here it is.
India is a land of diversities, which is well portrayed in its culture and cuisine. A land where taste changes at every 100 kms. Hence, it has a wide spectrum of food. Here we bring you an authentic Upma Recipe from India that’s not only quick but, can be easily made at home. The Upma recipe we listed below is most basic of Indian recipes also one of the tastiest! Trying this Upma recipe at home is an easy way to get a delicious meal.
Here is the Authentic Upma Recipe:
1 cup roasted semolina (sooji, rava)
1 medium sized onion, chopped finely
1 green chilly, chopped
1 tbsp chana dal/spilt and skinned bengal gram
½ tbsp urad dal/spilt and skinned
½ inch ginger grated or chopped finely
2 to 21/4 cups water
1 tsp mustard seeds
½ tsp cumin seeds
1 sprig of curry leaves
7-8 cashew nuts
2 tsp sugar (optional)
2 tbsp oil or ghee
salt as required
1. In a pan, heat oil or ghee.
2. Add mustard seeds.
3. When you hear the crackling sound of mustard seeds, it means they are getting fried.
4. Now add the cumin along with chana dal and urad dal.
5. Fry till they start to brown a little.
6. Add cashews and by the time, the cashews get browned the dals would also get browned..
7. Now add onions and fry till they become transparent.
8. Add the green chilly, ginger, curry leaves.
9. Fry for a minute.
10. Now add water to this mixture and let it come to a boil.
11. Add salt and sugar. If you want a more sweeter taste, you can add more sugar. When the water comes to a rolling boiling, lower the flame and add the roasted semolina to it.
12. Keep on stirring while you add the semolina.
13. The semolina should be added not once but in 3-4 batches with a spoon.
14. If you add it at once, lumps will be formed.
15. Keep on stirring.
16. The semolina will absorb water and swell and begin to cook.
17. If the mixture looks dry, then add some more water.
18. Reduce the flame and simmer the upma for 2-3 minutes.
19. Keep stirring so that the upma does not stick to the pan.
20. Garnish upma with coriander/cilantro leaves.
21. Serve upma hot with slices of lime or coconut chutney or lime pickle.