Need a Tomato Rasam Recipe? Here it is.
India is a land of diversities, which is well portrayed in its culture and cuisine. A land where taste changes at every 100 kms. Hence, it has a wide spectrum of food. Here we bring you an authentic Tomato Rasam Recipe from India that’s not only quick but, can be easily made at home. The Tomato Rasam recipe we listed below is most basic of Indian recipes also one of the tastiest! Trying this Tomato Rasam recipe at home is an easy way to get a delicious meal.
Here is the Authentic Tomato Rasam Recipe:
For The Rasam Masala
1 tsp masoor dal (split red lentil)
1/2 tsp chana dal (split bengal gram)
1 tsp coriander (dhania) seeds
3 whole dry kashmiri red chillies , broken into pieces
5 to 6 peppercorns (kalimirch)
1/8 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
4 to 6 curry leaves (kadi patta)
2 tbsp toovar (arhar) dal
1/2 cup tomato pulp
1/4 cup tamarind water
1/4 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
salt to taste
2 tsp coconut oil or any other refined oil
1/4 tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
3 to 4 curry leaves (kadi patta)
1/4 tsp asafoetida (hing)
2 tbsp chopped coriander (dhania) for the garnish
For the rasam masala
1. Combine all the ingredients in a small non-stick pan, and dry roast on a slow flame for 5 to 7 minutes or till they release flavour, while stirring continuously. Keep aside.
2. Allow it to cool slightly and blend in a mixer to a smooth powder. Keep aside.
How to proceed
1. Combine the toovar dal and 1 cup of water and pressure cook for 4 whistles.
2. Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Whisk the dal thoroughly and bring to a boil.
3. Add the tomato pulp, tamarind water, turmeric powder and salt, mix well and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring continuously.
4. Add the rasam masala, and 3 cups of water, mix well and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes.
5. For the tempering, heat the oil in a small non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds.
6. When the seeds crackle, add the curry leaves and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
7. Pour the tempering over the boiling rasam and mix well.
8. Serve hot garnished with the coriander.