Need a Rasam Recipe? Here it is.
India is a land of diversities, which is well portrayed in its culture and cuisine. A land where taste changes at every 100 kms. Hence, it has a wide spectrum of food. Here we bring you an authentic Rasam Recipe from India that’s not only quick but, can be easily made at home. The Rasam recipe we listed below is most basic of Indian recipes also one of the tastiest! Trying this Rasam recipe at home is an easy way to get a delicious meal.
Here is the Authentic Rasam Recipe:
For The Rasam Powder
1 tsp coriander (dhania) seeds
3 whole dry kashmiri red chillies , broken into pieces
5 to 6 black peppercorns (kalimirch)
1 tsp toor (arhar) dal
1/2 tsp chana dal (split bengal gram)
a pinch of cumin seeds (jeera)
2 tbsp toovar (arhar) dal
1/2 cup finely chopped tomatoes
1/4 cup tamarind (imli) pulp
a pinch of asafoetida (hing)
a pinch of turmeric powder (haldi)
salt to taste
1 tsp oil
1/4 tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
3 to 4 curry leaves (kadi patta)
2 tbsp chopped coriander (dhania)
For the rasam powder
1. Combine all the ingredients in a broad non-stick pan and sauté on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes. Allow to cool completely.
2. Once cooled, blend in a mixer to a smooth powder. Keep aside.
How to proceed
1. Combine the toor dal with 1 cup of water in a pressure cooker and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
2. With help of a hand blender, blend the dal till smooth, add the prepared rasam powder into it, mix well and keep aside.
3. Combine the tomatoes, tamarind pulp, turmeric powder, asafoetida, salt and 3 cups of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 8 to 10 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
4. Add the prepared dal-rasam powder mixture, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
5. For the tempering, heat the oil in a small pan and add the mustard seeds and curry leaves.
6. When the seeds crackle, add the tempering to the prepared rasam and simmer for 1 minute.
7. Add the coriander and mix well.
8. Serve hot.