Need a Lauki Thepla Recipe? Here it is.
India is a land of diversities, which is well portrayed in its culture and cuisine. A land where taste changes at every 100 kms. Hence, it has a wide spectrum of food. Here we bring you an authentic Lauki Thepla Recipe from India that’s not only quick but, can be easily made at home. The Lauki Thepla recipe we listed below is most basic of Indian recipes also one of the tastiest! Trying this Lauki Thepla recipe at home is an easy way to get a delicious meal.
Here is the Authentic Lauki Thepla Recipe:
¾ to 1 cup grated lauki/dudhi/opo squash
1.5 cups whole wheat flour/atta
3 tbsp gram flour/besan
2 tbsp curd/dahi/yogurt, add 1 or 2 tbsp more if required while kneading
1 green chili + ½ inch ginger, crushed to a paste in mortar pestle or 1 tsp ginger-green chili paste
½ tsp coriander powder/dhania powder
½ tsp cumin powder/jeera
½ tsp red chili powder/lal mirch powder
¼ tsp turmeric powder/haldi
1 tbsp oil
¾ tsp salt or add as required
oil for roasting, as required
1. First rinse, peel and then grate the lauki in a bowl or parat/large plate. grate about ¾ to 1 cup lauki
2. Add the spices – 1 tsp ginger-green chili paste, ½ tsp coriander powder, ½ tsp cumin powder, ½ tsp red chili powder, ¼ tsp turmeric powder and ¾ tsp salt.
3. Mix the spices & salt very well with the grated lauki and keep covered aside for 5 minutes. the lauki will release its juices.
4. Then add 1.5 cups whole wheat flour and 3 tbsp besan or gram flour. if you don’t have gram flour, then skip. just make the theplas with whole wheat flour. mix well.
5. Add 2 tbsp yogurt and 1 tbsp oil.
6. Mix and then begin to knead into a dough.
7. Make a smooth soft dough.
8. Make medium sized balls from the dough.
9. On a dusted rolling board, take each ball and begin to roll it.
10. Sprinkle some more whole wheat flour, if required while rolling.
11. Roll to a round of about 5 to 6 inches in diameter.
12. Place the rolled thepla on a hot tawa or griddle.
13. Then you see bubbles on the thepla, flip it.
14. Spread some oil on the thepla all over.
15. Flip again.
16. Spread some oil on this side now. if making for tiffin or picnic lunches, then add some more oil, so that the theplas stay soft.
17. Flip once or twice till the lauki theplas are well cooked. make all theplas this way.
18. Serve the lauki thepla hot, warm or at room temperature with mango pickle or curd/yogurt.