Need a Doi Potol Recipe? Here it is.
India is a land of diversities, which is well portrayed in its culture and cuisine. A land where taste changes at every 100 kms. Hence, it has a wide spectrum of food. Here we bring you an authentic Doi Potol Recipe from India that’s not only quick but, can be easily made at home. The Doi Potol recipe we listed below is most basic of Indian recipes also one of the tastiest! Trying this Doi Potol recipe at home is an easy way to get a delicious meal.
Here is the Authentic Doi Potol Recipe:
1 kg potol or parwal
2 medium sized onions
1 tbsp ginger paste
1 tbsp turmeric paste
1&1/4 tsp chilli paste
3-4 tbsp coriander paste
2 tbsp cumin paste
150 gms dahi, lightly blended in 1 cup water
2 tsp sugar or less if liked
Salt to taste
3 tbsp ghee
4 tbsp mustard oil or vegetable oil
1. Cut the ends off the potol and peel skin in strips, giving the potol a striped effect.
2. Heat mustard or vegetable oil and fry potol over high heat until highly browned.
3. Remove potol from pan with slotted spoon, draining off as much oil as possible.
4. In the same pan, add the ghee to the oil in pan and when quite hot, add garam masala and fry for few minutes.
5. Then add sliced onions, continue frying till onions are golden brown.
6. Add ground masala paste and fry for 5 mins. taking care that masalas do not stick to the pan.
7. Add a few drops of water if necessary.
8. Add the dahi and water and let is come to a simmer.
9. Add fried potols, sugar and salt to taste.
10. Increase the heat until it comes to the boil.
11. Then reduce heat and cook about 20 mins.
12. The doi potol is ready when there is a thick gravy and the ghee has come to the surface.