Recipe for Dal Makhani
Need a Dal Makhani Recipe? Here it is.
India is a land of diversities, which is well portrayed in its culture and cuisine. A land where taste changes at every 100 kms. Hence, it has a wide spectrum of food. Here we bring you an authentic Dal Makhani Recipe from India that’s not only quick but, can be easily made at home. The Dal Makhani recipe we listed below is most basic of Indian recipes also one of the tastiest! Trying this Dal Makhani recipe at home is an easy way to get a delicious meal.
Here is the Authentic Dal Makhani Recipe:
3/4 cup Urad Dal (black matpe beans)
1/4 cup red kidney beans (rajmah)
2 teaspoons cumin seeds
8 garlic cloves, chopped
2 inches gingerroot, chopped
1 teaspoon garam masala powder
1/2 cup fresh cream
1 teaspoon red chili powder
3 tablespoons butter
2 tomatoes, chopped (extra large tomatoes)
1 onion, chopped
1 tablespoon oil
1. Soak whole black urad and rajma overnight in 3-4 cups of water.
2. Cook the soaked dal and rajma in the same water with salt, red chili powder and half the chopped ginger till dal and rajma are cooked and soft.
3. Peel and chop the onion, ginger and garlic finely. Also chop the tomatoes.
4. Heat oil and butter in a thick-bottomed pan. Add cumin seeds, when it crackles add chopped onions and fry till golden brown.
5. Add chopped ginger, garlic and chopped tomatoes. Sauté till tomatoes are well mashed and fat starts to leave the masala. Add boiled dal and rajma to this.Do not add the liquid at first.Crush(mash) the dals with the back of the ladle while stirring continuously, this gives that creamy texture to the dal .
6. Add the liquid and some water if required and simmer on very low heat for fifteen minutes.
7. Add fresh cream and garam masala powder let it simmer for another five minutes. Finish off with a couple of pinch of Kasoori methi powdered.
8. Serve hot with Naan or Paraatha.
9. Tip: Replacing the tomatoes with 4 tablespoons of thick tomato paste will enhance the taste and colour of the dish manifold.