Recipe for Chakkara Pongal
Need a Chakkara Pongal Recipe? Here it is.
India is a land of diversities, which is well portrayed in its culture and cuisine. A land where taste changes at every 100 kms. Hence, it has a wide spectrum of food. Here we bring you an authentic Chakkara Pongal Recipe from India that’s not only quick but, can be easily made at home. The Chakkara Pongal recipe we listed below is most basic of Indian recipes also one of the tastiest! Trying this Chakkara Pongal recipe at home is an easy way to get a delicious meal.
Here is the Authentic Chakkara Pongal Recipe:
½ cup rice
⅓ to ½ cup moong dal / pesara pappu
½ cup powdered or grated jaggery or palm sugar
⅛ tsp. green cardamom powder
Small Pinch of edible camphor / pacha karpooram (optional)
2 to 3 tbsp. Ghee (you can reduce it to 1)
1 tbsp. raisins
1 to 2 tbsp. Cashews broken
1 to 2 cloves (optional)
few chopped coconut pieces sliced or chopped (optional)
1. Add moong dal / pesara pappu to a heavy bottom pan or pressure cooker and roast it till they turn fragrant
2. Add rice to the same pan and wash them at least twice.
3. Pour 2 ¼ cups of water. Cook till soft either in the pressure cooker for 2 whistles or in the pot.
4. Pour ¼ cup water to grated jaggery. On a low flame stir and melt it. Keep this aside.
5. When the pressure from the cooker is down, remove the lid and mash the rice.
6. Filter jaggery syrup to the cooked rice dal
7. Add green cardamom powder. Mix and cook on a medium flame till the jaggery syrup blends well with rice. It should begin to bubble up well. Off the stove.
8. Heat a pan with ghee, add coconut pieces and fry them till they turn aromatic. Add them to the rice. To the pan, add cashews, clove and fry till golden, off the stove and add raisins, camphor. Mix this with the rice.