Recipe for Appam
Need a Appam Recipe? Here it is.
India is a land of diversities, which is well portrayed in its culture and cuisine. A land where taste changes at every 100 kms. Hence, it has a wide spectrum of food. Here we bring you an authentic Appam Recipe from India that’s not only quick but, can be easily made at home. The Appam recipe we listed below is most basic of Indian recipes also one of the tastiest! Trying this Appam recipe at home is an easy way to get a delicious meal.
Here is the Authentic Appam Recipe:
1 cup Raw rice
1 cup Par boiled rice
1 tsp Fenugreek seeds
2 1/2 tbsp Urad dal (whole urad dal without skin)
3 tbsp Coconut milk
1/2 tsp Cooking soda or appam soda
Appam pan (also called appa chatti)
1. Soak raw rice, par boiled rice, fenugreek seeds and urad dal for 10-12 hours.
2. After 10 hours, ground it to a fine paste. Add salt and mix it well. (tip: use warm water to grind it )
3. Store it in an airtight container, leave it for another 10 hours or overnight to ferment.
4. Before making appams, add coconut milk, appam soda and mix well. Keep it aside for 10 minutes.
5. After 10 minutes- appam batter can be used to make soft appams.
Heat the Appam chatti (Appam pan) or wok, add a ladleful of batter, lift the pan, tilt and swirl the batter around to make a circle, put it back on the heat, cover and cook until done but still remains white. you can make the side crispy by letting it become light brown or soft by taking it off while its still white. No flipping necessary to cook the other side for this yummy pancake!!