Raita – A Curd (Yoghurt) Based Indian Condiment
Raita is yoghurt (curd) based Indian condiment and is often used as sauce or a dip. There are various ways to make raita. You can also experiment and make your own recipe. The most common of all is the boondi raita and the veg raita. Others are gajar (carrot) raita, Potato raita, lauki raita and cucumber raita. These Raitas work as a side dish with Pulao, Biryani, Khichdi and Kebabs.
Boondi is the gram floor crunches available ready-made in the grocery stores. You may find flavored boondi in the Indian grocery stores. The curd is seasoned with spices like, roasted coriander powder, pepper powder, dried mint leaves, mustard seeds etc.
Boondi Raita Recipe
- 2 cup Yogurt
- 1/2 cup Milk/Water
- 1/2 cup Pain boondi
- 1/4 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin powder (Roasted)
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp Coriander leaves chopped finely
- Add boondi to warm water and let it stand for 2-3 minutes so that it becomes soft. Then drain it.
- Beat the yogurt and milk to get smooth consistency. Add salt, black pepper powder and chili powder. Mix well.
- Add boondi and mix well.
- Sprinkle roasted cumin seeds powder on the top.
- Refrigerate it for 1-2 hours.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Serve chilled.
Cucumber Raita Recipe
- 1 medium cucumber
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 cups plain, whole-milk yogurt
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced (optional)
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander or mint leaves, chopped
- cayenne or paprika to garnish
- Peel cucumber. Cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch strips, then into thin slices crosswise.
- Blot off moisture with paper towels.
- Toast cumin seeds for a few seconds in a small, heavy frying pan over high heat.
- In a bowl, stir yogurt until it is smooth.
- Mix it with the cumin, garlic and coriander or mint leaves.
- Combine mixture with cucumber slivers, sprinkle with cayenne or paprika, and chill before serving
Veg Raita Recipe
- 2 Cup curd
- 2 Chopped onions
- 1/2 Chopped tomato
- 1 Grated cucumber
- 1/2 tsp Red chilli flakes
- 2 Green chilies.
- 1/2 tsp Roasted cumin seeds
- Salt to taste
- Beat the curd till it turns smooth.
- Add chopped onion, tomato and grated cucumber, chopped green chilies
- Mix it well.
- Sprinkle red chili flakes, roasted cumin seeds and salt.
- 1 cup Yogurt
- 1/4 cup Grated Carrots
- 1 tbsp. Roasted peanuts
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp. Vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. Cumin seeds (roasted)
- 1/2 tsp. Black pepper powder
- 1 tbsp. Coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- Make powder of roasted peanuts and roasted cumin seeds.
- Beat the yogurt to get smooth consistency. Add salt, black pepper powder and above powdered mixture. Mix well.
- Add grated carrots and mix.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds.When the seeds begin to splutter, remove the pan from heat.
- Add this to the curd mixture.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Serve chill.
Lauki / Ghiya / Bottle Gourd Raita Recipe
- 2 Cups Curd (Yogurt)
- 1 cup grated Ghiya (lauki)
- 1tsp Cumin (jeera) powder
- salt to taste
- Red chili powder to taste
- Boil grated ghiya till soft, drain and cool it.
- Stir the curd with hand mixer.
- Add ghiya and mix well. If curd is thick mix little milk or water.
- Now add salt, cumin powder and chili powder, mix well.
- Keep in refrigerator for an hour or so.
- Serve ghiya raita chilled