My favorite Indian Sweets
I’m sure the sweets listed below will make you drool if you have a sweet tooth like mine. I always crave for Indian sweets, the richness, the taste, the aroma is just delicious. India is a country of diversities and here you’ll find some specialty from all the regions. The Indian sweets can be divided into two categories one is milk based and the other is floor based. Earlier they were prepared in pure ghee but now the health conscious people prefer refined oil. Any celebration or occasion is incomplete without these sweets. Some of these sweets hails from different cities of India for example Agra ka Petha, Mathura ke pede, Bengal ke Rasgulle, Rajasthan ka Churma etc. The list will go on and on.
Amongst all the sweets in India I’ve listed here few favorites of mine and they are Kaju katli, Peda, Coconut Burfi, Boondi ke Laddu and Besan ke Laddu.
2 cups cashew nuts
1¾ cup sugar
3 tbsp milk
1 tbsp unsalted butter
1 tsp vanilla essence
1½ cup boiling water
4 sheets of silver leaf (optional)
– Soak the cashew nuts in boiling water for 1 hour.
– Drain it and process smoothly in a mixer by adding milk & then sugar.
– Heat the butter in a large pan, put the cashew nut paste and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until the mixture becomes thick.
– Then, put vanilla essence and mix thoroughly.
– Put this mixture in a greased tray and spread it evenly and press the silver leaf (optional) on the top. Let it cool for 45 minutes.
– After it is cooled, cut into diamond shaped pieces.
300 g/1cup milk powder
240 m/ 1 cup milk
75 g sugar – preferably jaggery or palm sugar
100 g ghee/ butter
cardamom powder according to taste – start with ¼ tsp
pistachios to decorate (soak in the water for 6 h)
– Bring milk to a boil, add sugar and ghee.
– Stir to dissolve/melt. Keep the mix gently bubbling for 6-7 minutes. Slow to a simmer and slowly add milk powder. Mix well and stir for 2-3 minutes.
– Add cardamom powder and stir well. The mix should have come away from the side of the pan and become a solid lump by now. Leave to cool for 5 minutes.
– Take small balls, roll slowly in hand and flatten on something like a cutting board. Put half of pistachio on the top. You can use a special Penda stamper to impress leaf, floral or star patterns on the sweets. Leave to cool and set.
For Kasmiri pada/ Kesar pada – Add a pinch of Saffron while milk is boiling for Kesar Peda.
2 cups gram flour (besan)
1½ cup sugar (grinded)
1 cup ghee
1 hand full of raisins
– In a kadhai mix gram flour and ghee over a low heat.
– Stir constantly to avoid lumps.
– When it releases an appetizing smell, it is ready.
– Remove from the heat and let it cool.
– Add sugar and raisins to the gram flour and mix thoroughly.
– Now form ping-pong size balls of the mixture.
– Besan Ladoo are ready to be served.
1 cup besan
1 pinch saffron
1 pinch cardamom powder
1 tbsp rice flour
1 pinch baking powder
1 tbsp broken cashew nut
2 cups sugar
1 cup of oil
1 cup water
For decoration silver foil
– Mix the flour, rice flour, baking powder.
– Make a smooth thick batter. Heat the oil. Take the batter and pour it over a sieve with round holes.
– Tap it gently with a spoon so that small balls of dough fall into the oil. Make the balls and keep aside. Heat the sugar and water till reaches 1/2 thread consistency.
– Mix in the saffron and cardamom powder and fried boondies. When the mixture is still warm make into balls. Boondi Ladoo are ready to be served
– If the mixture cools balls cannot be made as the sugar crystallizes.
– Decorate with silver foil, cut into small pieces and serve.
Nariyal Burfi / Coconut Burfi
400 g condensed milk
300 g grated coconut
100 g full cream milk powder
½ cup milk
few drops red color
– Heat the condensed milk, coconut powder, milk and milk powder in a thick-bottomed kadai.
– Once heated cook on slow flame till the mixture leaves the sides of the pan.
– Divide the mixture into two equal portions.
– Spread one portion evenly on a greased plate.
– To the other portion add the red color and mix well.
– Spread it over the white layer and allow it to cool.
– Cut into squares and serve.