Summers are just here, and what better way to cool you off than a glass of chilled Lassi. The easiest homemade drink which is not only delicious but is very healthy as well. You can add various flavors to yogurt depending on your choice and make your own recipe. The main flavors are Plain lassi, mango lassi, Salted lassi, Pudina / mint Lassi, Strawberry Lassi etc. The most common of all is the sweet lassi and salted lassi. This delicious beverage is made by blending yogurt with water, salt, and spices until frothy. Traditional lassi is sometimes flavored with ground-roasted cumin. The Lassi of the Punjab sometimes uses a little milk and is topped with a thin layer of malai, a clotted cream, also known as Devonshire cream. Lassis are enjoyed chilled as a hot-weather refreshment. In North India Lassi is the common beverage served to guests in summers. It also accompanies parathas like aloo ka paratha, mooli ka paratha and paneer paratha.
Salty Lassi Recipe
- 3 cups plain yogurt
- 1 cup cold water.
- 1 fresh green chili, seeded and very finely chopped
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh cilantro(coriander)or mint leaves to decorate
- Crushed ice to serve
- Pour the yogurt and water into blender for 1 min.
- Add in the chili, cumin, season to taste with salt and pepper and bled together
- Serve over crushed ice
- Garnish with a sprinkle of cumin powder and finely chopped cilantro (coriander)or mint.
Plain Sweet lassi Recipe
- 1 green cardamom pod
- 100 ml natural unsweetened yogurt
- 1 ½ tsp caster or demerara sugar
- 1 tsp rose water
- 200 ml cold water
- 4 mint leaves
- Use the back of a spoon to gently crush a green cardamom pod, until it splits. Remove the seeds with your fingers, and throw away the outer case.Put the cardamom seeds into a mixing bowl or jug, along with 100ml of unsweetened natural yogurt, 1 1/2 teaspoons of caster or demerara sugar, 1 teaspoon of rose water and 200ml of cold water. Use a hand blender to blend the mixture into a smooth paste.Pour into glasses. Garnish with a sprig of mint.
Mint Lassi Recipe
- 5 tbsp finely chopped mint leaves
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 1½ tsp rock salt (kala namak)
- ½ tsp roasted, ground cumin seeds
- ½ tsp salt, or taste
- 1 cup of chilled water
- 4-6 ice cubes
- Put yogurt, mint, cumin seeds, rock salt in a blender. Blend for a few seconds.
- Add chilled water and ice cubes. Blend till frothy. Serve sprinkled with a pinch of ground roasted cumin seeds(powder) and garnish with finely chopped mint
Mango Lassi Recipe
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup mango pulp or pieces of mango(fresh or canned)
- 1 cup crushed ice
- 3 table spoons sugar / Use sugar substitute if desired
- Blend all of the above. Add a little water if the consistency is too thick.
- Keep refrigerated.
- Serve chilled.
- Garnish with a sprig of mint. Makes 4 servings. It’s as Simple as that!
Strawberry Lassi Recipe
- 1 lb fresh strawberry, trimmed and halved (3 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom, rounded
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 cups plain yogurt (whole milk or low-fat)
- 1 cup ice cubes
- Puree strawberries with sugar, cardamom, and a pinch of salt in a blend until smooth.
- Add yogurt and ice, then puree until smooth again.