Pumpkin is not always about Halloween decorations or Thanksgiving pie filling. It is much more beyond that. Like the way you could carve the perfect eyes of Jack o’ lantern on it, pumpkin might just help to perfect your actual eyes too. How is pumpkin good for your eyes? Its nutrients content provide a lot of benefits to your eyes. Read on to know more about these nutrients to extract the pumpkin benefits for eyes.
Why is Pumpkin Good for You?
- Pumpkin contains high amount of zinc, which is an essential mineral to keep your retina healthy.
- Pumpkin is a rich source of vitamin A, it protects the cornea and the surface of the eye.
- Vitamin A in pumpkin also allows us to see in dim light, and thereby improves your vision in the night. Additionally, it known to cure night blindness.
- Is pumpkin good for eyesight? Yes, pumpkin promotes a healthy vision.
- Another vitamin found in pumpkin is vitamin C. It helps to lower the risks of cataract formation and macular degeneration—both of which leads to adult blindness.
- Pumpkin is also great source of two powerful antioxidants, lutein and zeaxanthin. They are sunscreen of our eyes as they filter out harmful, high energy wavelengths of light.
- These antioxidants also help in preventing degenerative damage to the eyes.
- Apart from the flesh, pumpkin seeds are also good for your eyes. More amount of zinc is present in pumpkin seeds. This aids in creating melanin in the retina, a pigment that protects the eye.
- Zinc in pumpkin seeds also improves your immune system and makes your body less susceptible to infections, including your eyes.
How to Eat Pumpkin for Your Eyes?
There are many ways to eat pumpkin but all of them might not be beneficial for your eyes. For example, popular pumpkin snacks, such as pumpkin spice latte, pumpkin chocolate chip cookies, pumpkin pie, break, and cake have high sugar content. So, you may consume these in less amount. If you want to reap all the benefits for your eyes then stick to pumpkin soup, roasted pumpkin, pumpkin smoothie and baked pumpkin seeds.
Pumpkin never fails to lighten your mood, it has been major part of festival, and definitely gives a good treat to and for your eyes. So go ahead and eat more pumpkins to satisfy your taste buds and boosts your health, especially your eyes. Stay healthy!