Onion is notorious for making you squint and its tear-jerking effect. But, have you ever wondered, is onion good for your eyes? Why does it burns and stings your eyes till you cry? You must have hated to cut an onion for these reasons, but it is actually good for your eyes. There are several benefits of onions for your eyes. Read on to find out why is onion good for your eyes, and then you can pour out the tears of happiness.
Why is Onion Good for Your Eyes?
- Onion contains a good amount of vitamin B, the deficiency of which may develop pink eyes.
- Another vitamin abundantly found in onion is Vitamin C which is a powerful antioxidant and reduces inflammation in the eyes.
- The vitamin C in onion also lowers the chances of cataract formation, and slows the development of age-related macular degeneration.
- Onions are rich source of sulfur compound. The sulfur compound allyl propyl disulfide irritates the tear ducts, which makes you cry, and in turn cleanses the cornea of the eyes.
- Glutathione, a sulfur-rich protein in onion, is a great antioxidant for the lenses of the eyes. It improves the eye health and protects it from diseases, like glaucoma, cataracts and macular degeneration.
- Are onions good for your eyesight? Yes, the sulfur compounds in onions make the lens stronger, durable, and thereby improve the eyesight.
- Onions also contain phytochemicals, like quercetin which is an antidote for eye inflammation and relieves eye irritation too.
- The ability of onions to make you cry can also mildly treat dry eyes as they stimulate the tear glands and provide moisture.
Uses of Onion for Your Eyes
- Raw Onions: Eating raw onion is good for your eyes, it improves the lens and prevent the formation of cataracts,. You can incorporate it with garlic and soy.
- Is Onion Juice Good for Your Eyes? Yes, onions are antibacterial in nature and treats pink eye or sore eyes caused by bacteria. Mix onion juice with cold water and apply the solution over your eyes using cotton balls. Leave it for ten minutes and rinse with water.
- Onion and Ginger Juice for Eyes: This combination is used as an herbal remedy for cataracts. For this, mix onion juice and ginger juice in equal amounts with honey five times more in quantity. You can put two drops of this mixture in your eyes. If your eyes have undergone any surgery, then don’t use this.
It turns out that not only eating, but also cutting onion is good for your eyes. Rich with antioxidants and other nutrients, onions indeed promotes your vision health to a great extent.