Bitter gourd or bitter melon or karela is one of the most common vegetables in India. Many of us dislike it for its intense bitter taste. But, it provides a number of benefits to our health. Bitter gourd is a very rich source of antioxidants, protein that are active against tumor cells, and substances that have positive effects on blood sugar level. So, if you are asking, “Is bitter gourd good for diabetes?” Then, the answer is yes. Delve into this article to know the bitter gourd benefits for diabetes.
Why is Bitter Gourd Good for Diabetes?
There are several for using bitter gourd for diabetes cure.
- Bitter gourd is a natural remedy for several health problems, including type 2 diabetes.
- Bitter gourd contains at least three active substances that have anti-diabetic properties.
- Charantin in bitter gourd has a blood sugar-lowering effect. Other two substances are vicine and polypeptide-p, which acts like insulin.
- Bitter gourd is good for diabetes patients as it helps in bringing down blood sugar and urine sugar levels.
- Bitter gourd is a source of lectin that has similar effects of insulin in the brain. It lowers the blood sugar level by acting on the peripheral tissues and reducing appetite.
- Bitter gourd improves the glucose tolerance and increases cellular uptake of glucose.
- Bitter gourd inhibits the breakdown of disaccharides to two monosaccharides, thus cutting down the amount of glucose released in the blood.
- It influences the transport of glucose, thereby act effectively on the treatment of type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes.
- Bitter gourd also prevents the rise of blood sugar level after meals.
- Eating bitter gourd is really good for diabetes, it increases pancreatic insulin secretion, and manages the blood sugar level.
- Compounds called oleanolic acid glycosides in bitter gourd prevents insulin resistance by the organs and muscles of our body.
- Bitter gourd is rich source of antioxidant, they prevent the risks of oxidation and inflammation in the body caused due to increase in blood sugar level.
- Both type 1 and type 2 diabetes leads to blindness, diabetic feet, stroke, kidney disease or heat attack. The antioxidant properties of bitter gourd prevent all these ailments, simultaneously lowers the blood sugar level.
How to consume bitter gourd for diabetes?
Drinking karela juice or bitter gourd juice in the morning in an empty stomach is the best way to lower blood sugar level. For this, wash the bitter gourd, you can leave the top skin or peel it off. Cut it into fine pieces, rub it with salt and keep it for sometime to reduce the bitter juice out of it. Now, crush the pieces into mixer, sieve it, and have the full juice of karela. You can also add a bit of lemon to improve its taste.
Now that you are aware of the benefits of bitter gourd for diabetes, make it a part of your diet. No matter how bitter the karela juice is, drink it up, this will definitely help you lead a healthy life.