Indian Food – Delicious Kashmiri Recipes
Kashmiri Food is one of the most delicious cuisines of India. The food is rich and spicy mostly prepared in ghee (clarified butter) with lots of dry fruits and expensive spices. The common spices used in Kashmiri cuisine are cardamom, cinnamon, clove, aniseed and not to forget is the world famous Kashmiri Kesar i.e. saffron. Generally, Kesar is used in desserts and sweet dishes all over India. However, it is used extensively in all kinds of Kashmiri cuisines be it spicy, creamy or sweet. Kesar gives all cuisines a wonderful dark color.
- 1/2 kg shoulder mutton, cut into cubes along with bones.
- 1/2 cup or 1 small katori plain yogurt/ dahi
- 1 1/2 level tsps ground ginger powder/ sonth
- 4 level tsps ground fennel seed /saunf powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder/ lal mirchi
- 1/2 tbsp veg oil
- 1/2 cup or 1 katori milk or cream
- Wash the mutton and drain off all the water.
- Mix with the curds, salt and spices and set aside in the fridge for as long as you have, even if it is just ten minutes.
- In a small pressure cooker ( 3 kg size) heat the oil and then brown the mutton a few pieces at a time.
- Pour the marinade, if there is any left, into the cooker. Cover and set the weight on.
- Cook on high heat for 6 whistles.
- Turn off the heat and let it stand for a few mintues till pressure is reduced.
- Remove the weight and lid. Pour in the milk and cook till the spices stick to the meat and very little, to no gravy, is left.
- You can use cream if you prefer. Serve right away with hot chapati or rice and curds.
- 1 tsp. ginger powder
- 1 Tbs. fennel seeds
- 1 tsp. shahjeera (cumin seed)
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbs. pepper, red, powder (cayenne)
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 6 cardamoms
- 6 cloves
- 1 bay leaf (Indian tez patta)
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp. saffron
- 1 cup yogurt plain
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 piece pure hing (asafoetida)
- 4 tbsp ghee
- 2 lbs. lamb, cut into large cubes
- Grind together the spices.
- Soak saffron in yogurt.
- Heat ghee and fry the lump of hing
- Add meat and sear on all sides, frying until well browned.
- Pour in the yogurt and fry until liquid is absorbed.
- Add a glassful of water and the spices.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, covered, until tender.
- Remove cover and cook until liquid is gone.
Kashmiri Gosht Biryani Recipe
- 1 lb.gms lamb/mutton cubed.
- 2 cloves.
- 2 big black cardamoms.
- 2 small cardamoms.
- 1 stick cinnamon.
- 1 bay leaf.
- 2 tsps cumin seeds.
- 2 tsps coriander powder.
- 1 tsp turmeric powder.
- Salt to taste.
- 2 tsps chilli powder.
- 1/4 nutmeg, ground.
- 2 tsps garam masala powder.
- 2 tbsps yogurt.
- 3 cups cooked basmati rice.
- 1/2 tsp saffron mixed with 1 tbsp milk.
- 1 cup chopped mint and coriander leaves.
- 4 tbsps pure ghee
- Heat ghee. Fry cloves, black cardamoms, small cardamoms, cinnamon, bay leaf, shahjeera, coriander powder, turmeric powder, chilli powder, ground nutmeg and garam masala.
- Add yogurts and stir fry for a minute.
- Add meat to the masala. Cook meat till it is well browned and the yogurt is absorbed by the meat.
- Sprinkle in salt to taste. Add water so that mutton is immersed in the gravy.
- Cook till done. Keep aside. Divide the rice into two portions.
- Mix saffron with one portion of rice. Add half the meat to it.
- Add mint and coriander leaves.
- Cover with white rice and remaining meat. Shut the pot tightly.
- Cook on a low fire for a few minutes.
- Turn out upside down in a large serving dish.
Dum Aloo Recipe
- 1 lb bite size baby potatoes (aloo)
- ½ to 1 teaspoon turmeric powder (for sprinkling before frying)
- 1 cup onion (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- ½ tablespoon ginger paste
- ½ cup tomatoes (chopped)
- ½-1 teaspoon dried red chili powder (depending on strength and taste)
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- oil for cooking and deep frying
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon methi
- 1/4 cup cream
- 2 tablespoon cashew-nut paste
- Peel and prick potatoes with a fork. Sprinkle with turmeric.
- Deep fry in oil over medium heat until potatoes are golden brown in color. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add onion and cook until light brown.
- Add ginger paste and garlic paste. Cook few more seconds.
- Add all spce and tomatoes. Cook for few more minutes.
- Add cream and ½ cup of water (if needed). Simmer the sauce
- Add fried potatoes and simmer few more minutes.
- Serve hot with Basmati rice or chapati.
Tabakh Naat Recipe
- 5 Rib chops of mutton
- 1 Cup full cream milk
- 1 Green elaichi
- 1 Big elaichi
- 1 tsp Sonth
- 1 tsp Badiyan
- 1 tsp Zeera (cumin seeds)
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon, powdered
- 1 Pinch heeng (asafoetida)
- 4-5 tbsp Ghee or clarified butter
- Pour milk in a pressure cooker.
- Add all ingredients except ghee or butter.
- Cook for 10 minutes.
- Cool and open the lid.
- Melt ghee or butter in a large pan.
- Add cooked chops to ghee and fry on low heat. Fry both sides of chops.
- Fry until chops are golden brown.
- When done well, garnish with silver foil if desired.
- The dish is ready to serve hot.