How to Care for Silk Scarves?
A silk scarf complements almost all the outfits. It is an elegant piece that adds a vibrant look when worn with a variety of outfits. A silk scarf is a wise investment only if you know how to take care of it. It handled, cared and maintained well, a silk scarf will never loose its sheen and will last for years. Here’s how you can ensure that your scarf lasts for years and years.
- Be careful how you store your silk scarves. Keep them away from sunlight and store them in dry areas. The best way to store a scarf is to roll it up to avoid creases instead of folding.
- If you have a collection of silk scarves which are not used frequently, take them out every six months to allow air to circulate around the silk. As a natural fiber, silk needs to breathe.
- Avoid your scarves from harsh chemicals and direct sunlight. As direct sunlight as well as chemicals (perfumes, deodorants, any other spray) may cause fade out or spotting. Similarly high temperatures will often cause the fibers to shrink. Do not ever put a silk scarf in the dryer.
- If your scarf is a crinkled or brocaded silk, dry cleaning it is the best solution. Do not home wash or iron it. It may loose its texture.
- Keep your scarf dry. Prolonged exposure to humid and damp environment may damage your silk scarf.
- If you notice wrinkles and creases on your silk scarf, simply use a low heat setting so that the steam will gently press out all creases.