Hiking boots are the footwear specifically designed for hiking. They are made of tough & strong materials to give you all the strength and safety required while hiking. Hiking boots are one of the most important items of hiking gear or a hiking kit. Since their quality and durability can determine a hiker’s ability to move far, fast, and safely, it is important that you take all the necessary precautions to maintain & care for them. To multi-fold your hiking boots life & durability you need to maintain them well. Following are some tips on how you can care for your hiking boots.
- Before you wear your brand new hiking boots, treat them with a high quality boot sealer. Read manufacturer’s instructions. Treating your hiking boots with sealer helps them to prevent water penetration.
- For a sealant, choose a solution which is specifically meant for hiking boots. Using an old toothbrush. apply a thin coat of the treatment to the entire outer surface except the soles, laces and grommets.
- After you apply the formulated solution, allow it to dry for at least 24 hours before you wear them.
- To thoroughly clean your leather hiking boots, use a saddle soap. Then allow them to dry completely in a warm place.
- Just when you complete your hiking trip, remove all the dirt and mud immediately as soon as you take off your shoes. Make sure you remove dirt after every hiking trip and before storage.
- If you are using them heavily, clean your hiking boots at least every two weeks. Allow them to air dry for at least 24 hours for best results. Reapply silicone treatment to waterproof hiking boots and use a leather protector once the boots are completely dry.
- Sprinkle some baking soda inside your shoe and allow it to air out to remove odors from the hiking boots. Or you can also use odor-absorbing foot inserts.
- How you store your hiking boots is also one of the most important thing that increases their life. Place them is a shoe box in the closet for best results. Take unused leather hiking boots out once a month and allow them to air out to prevent mold formation or mustiness.