The health benefits of essential oils can be attributed to their properties such as antiseptic, disinfectant, astringent, carminative, cicatrizant, cytophylactic, that including helping to combat aging of the skin. Essential oils can be used in different ways, including aromatherapy, skin massage, adding them to bathwater, using them in a compress or burning them in a diffuser.
Essential oils have been in existence since many many years and are used in various cultures for medicinal and health benefits. Essential oil usages varies from aromatherapy, to household cleaning, to personal beauty products, to natural medicine, and for skin treatment also. Essential oils are the highly concentrated form of the natural oils present in plants flowers, fruits, and seeds. Essential oils have been used for more than 5000 years as natural medicine & to improve the health of skin, hair, and body or to make DIY recipes too.
Essential oils are extracted from various parts of the plant i.e. roots, bark, leaves, resin, flower, fruit and peels. In ancient times, Egyptiian and Jews used to soak the plants, peels and leaves in oil for a long time to filter and extract the essential oils. No companies use a process of distilation to extract it.
Essential oil health benefits come from their antioxidant, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties. These essential oils have effective healing properties and are rapidly growing in popularity because they act as natural medicine without any side effects. So, are you ready to know the how these essential oils can benefit you in day-to-day life? Then let’s talk about the amazing health benefits of essential oils.
Health Benefits of Essential Oils for Hair, Skin and Body
- Essential oils like Lemon oil and Tea Tree oils are natural disinfectants. Both this oils can also be used as an all-purpose cleaner. You can just add three drops each of lemon oil and tea tree oil to a few ounces of warm water, then spray counter-tops to naturally disinfect the area.
- Essential oils like lemongrass oil, citronella oil and eucalyptus oil work as natural mosquito repellent. To make a mosquito repellent spray add one drop of each of these oils to one teaspoon of coconut oil. This mixture becomes your natural bug spray. Now just rub on the exposed skin and you can re-apply as needed.
- To breathe in clean and pure air, diffuse cinnamon essential oil in the air and enjoy its anti-microbial properties.
- Are you a fan of peppermint patties? Just use the peppermint essential oil with some coconut oil, dark chocolate and raw honey to make real homemade peppermint treats.
- Essential oils in Washing machine? Yes, you can add about 10-20 drops of your favorite scent essential oil per load and you will have fragrant clothes to wear. The scent is natural and lasts longer as compared to other fabric scents.
- Similarly you can add 5-10 drops of your favorite oil in your vacuum bag or dust container as well.
- As you know essential oils are great fr your skin too. You can make your own sunscreen lotion at home by mixing coconut oil, zinc oxide, shea butter, helichrysum oil and lavender essential oil. Store it in a squeeze bottle and you have your own homemade toxic-free sunscreen.
- Diffuse lavender essential oil around your home to reduce feelings of stress and tension.
- Diffuse frankincense essential oil while praying, meditating or reading to increase spiritual awareness.
- Essential oils for pest control? Yes, essential oils and kill pests. Just spray orange essential oil and clove oil to kill pests on contact.
- Lavender essential oil can improve sleep disorders like insomnia. Sprinkle a few drops on your pillow to help you fall asleep.
- Make you own body butter moisturizing lotion by mixing coconut oil, shea butter, magnesium oil and essential oils.
- Help to relieve anxiety by using a single drop of lavender oil on your hands, rub together, and cup your hands to your nose and let the smell flood your senses.
- To boost mood and relieve depression, add rose oil to baths, inhalations and diffusers to improve mood.
- Essential oils also help in reducing cellulite. Just add 5 drops of grapefruit essential oil with 2 teaspoons of coconut oil and massage into dimpled areas.
- Mix 10 drops of frankincense oil, myrrh oil and lemon oil into 2 tablespoons of vitamin E oil, then rub on cuticles to strengthen nails.
- Essential oils used as aromatherapy help you fight stress, anxiety and depression.
- Applying peppermint and lavender oil to the skin help you with headache and migraine.
- Clove oil is anti-bacterial, anti-parasitic and antioxidant protection.
- Cypress Oil improves circulation, reduces varicose veins, lifts confidence and can help heal broken bones.
- Eucalyptus oil improves respiratory issues like bronchitis, sinusitis and allergies.
- Frankincense oil help build immunity, reduce inflammation, heal age spots, support brain and may help fight cancer.
- Ginger oil help reducing inflammation, supports joints, improves digestion and relieves nausea. Ginger essential oil has been known to cure pain, stop vomiting, protect from wounds becoming septic, and relax spasm.
- Grapefruit oil: Supports metabolism and cellulite reduction. Mix with coconut oil and rub on areas of cellulite or take a few drops internally with water.
- Lavender oil: Helps with relaxation, improves mood and heals burns and cuts.
- Lemon oil: Great to use in homemade cleaning products, improves lymph drainage and cleanses the body.
- Myrrh oil: Natural anti-septic and can prevent or reduce infections. Also, supports beautiful skin, reducing stretch marks and hormone balance.
- Oregano oil: Powerful anti-microbial properties, can kill fungus and help you kick a cold fast.
- Peppermint oil: Supports digestion, improves focus, boosts energy, fever reducer, headache and muscle pain relief.
- Rose oil reduces skin inflammation and very effective for glowing skin. Just add a few drops to your facial moisturizer and you’ll have amazing results.
- Rosemary oil can help you hair grow faster and it naturally thicken hair. You can add it to homemade shampoos. Also, it improves brain function and memory so it’s great to used when working, reading or studying.
- Tea tree oil : natural anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, reduces bad odors and can help stimulate the immune system.
- Sandalwood oil: Natural aphrodisiac that improves libido and can also improve energy.
- Some specific essential oils like Lavender Oil, Geranium Oil, Cypress Oil, Frankincense Oil, Carrot Seed Oil, Myrrh Oil, and Helichrysum Oil help to have youthful skin
- Essential Oils For Weight Loss. There are some essential oils like Grapefruit oil, Peppermint oil, Cinnamon oil and Ginger oil have been proven to support fat loss.
- Clary sage and lavender support hair growth by balancing estrogen levels and rosemary essential oil works by inhibiting DHT (dihydroxy-testosterone) which stops hair loss.
There are more than 90 essential oils, and each has its own health benefits. Here we have tried to cove health benefits of the most common essential oils available. We will try to research and cover all the other essential oils in our future posts.