Confused about whether to eat a banana or not? Well, the facts listed below might just help to conclude better. Surprisingly, there are many health benefits of eating bananas. Some we know and there are plenty that we don’t. So, let’s find out how eating bananas on daily basis can help you improve your health and fitness.
A Little Bit About Bananas
Bright Yellow from outside, Creamy and fleshy from inside. Bananas are packed in their own yellow attractive jackets and are available and grown throughout the year. Banana is one fruit which is grown all over the globe. It is one of the most widely consumed fruit in the world. Eating Bananas has endless health benefits for a human body. Today Banana’s are ranked as fourth among the world’s food crops in monetary value. It has been noticed that Americans consume more bananas than apples and oranges combined.
Fun facts about Banana
- The scientific name for banana is Musa Sapientum, which means “fruit of the wise men.”
- Did you know, that bananas can float in water?
- The type of banana you see in the supermarket is called a Cavendish banana.
- Bananas are one of the most widely consumed fruits in the world.
- Bananas are four thousand years old.
- Bananas contain no fat, sodium or cholesterol and are a great source of fiber. Even freeze-dried, bananas are a healthy fruit.
- Bananas contain about 75%of water in it.
- India is the leading producer of banana.
- An average person eats 500 pounds of bananas every year.
Nutritional value of Bananas:
One banana contains about 126 grams and contains 110 calories, 30 grams of carbohydrate and 1 gram of protein. Bananas are naturally free of fat, cholesterol, and sodium. Bananas provide a variety of vitamins and minerals.
- Manganese-3mg-Manganese helps the body form connective tissue, bones, blood clotting factors, and sex hormones. It also plays a role in fat and carbohydrate metabolism, calcium absorption, and blood sugar regulation. Manganese is also necessary for normal brain and nerve function.
• Vitamin C-9mg-Vitamin C, also known as ascorbic acid, is necessary for the growth, development, and repair of all body tissues. It’s involved in many body functions, including the formation of collagen, absorption of iron, the immune system, wound healing, and the maintenance of cartilage, bones, and teeth.
• Potassium-450mg-Getting enough of potassium can help your heart in many ways: Better blood pressure: A diet high in fruits, vegetables, and fat-free or low-fat dairy foods can help cut systolic blood pressure by more than 10 points in people with high blood pressure.
• Dietary Fiber-3g-Fiber promotes the movement of material through your digestive system and increases stool bulk, so it can be of benefit to those who struggle with constipation or irregular stools
• Magnesium-34mg-Magnesium’s benefits can include reduced symptoms from conditions such as chronic pain, fatigue, and insomnia. Magnesium may also provide protection from a number of chronic diseases, especially those associated with aging and stress.
• Folate-25.0mg-Folate is one of the B vitamins and is needed for the formation of red and white blood cells in the bone marrow, the conversion of carbohydrates into energy and the production of DNA and RNA.
• Riboflavin-1mg-Riboflavin is a vitamin that is needed for growth and overall good health. It helps the body break down carbohydrates, proteins, and fats to produce energy, and it allows oxygen to be used by the body.
• Niacin-8mg-Improves Cholesterol Levels lowers cardiovascular disease risk, can help treat diabetes. Maintains skin health. Supports Proper Brain Function.
• Vitamin A-81 IU-Women need 700 micrograms of vitamin A each day and men require 900 micrograms. One large boiled egg supplies 74 micrograms toward these goals. In addition to keeping your eyes working properly, vitamin A also supports the health of your skin, teeth, and bones. The nutrient plays a role in reproduction and breastfeeding as well.
• Iron-3mg-Boosts hemoglobin formation. Formation of hemoglobin is the chief function of this mineral. Improves muscle function. It is a vital element for muscle health. Increases brain function.
- Vitamin B6-5mg-Vitamin B6 in your diet is of great significance. This water-soluble vitamin is helpful in treating a vast number of problems related to the heart and skin, as well as depression, fatigue, the nervous system and much more.
Health Benefits of Eating Bananas
Bananas contain all kinds of good things – health-promoting flavonoids and polyphenolics, such as lutein, zeaxanthin, beta and alpha carotenes, acting as free radical-gobbling antioxidants. That’s also an advantage in the high vitamin C content, most known for its infection-fighting properties.Bananas are very beneficial for a human heart. Banana contains a high amount of Potassium which is a mineral electrolyte which helps to maintain the flow of body electricity which plays a major role for a heart to be healthy. The Sodium content in banana helps in maintaining the cardiovascular health which controls high blood pressure.
1. Overcoming Depression and boosting Mood-Bananas help overcome depression due to high levels of tryptophan, which is converted into serotonin the happy mood brain neurotransmitter.
2. Helps in Digestion & Weight Loss– A medium-sized banana contains about 3 grams of fiber, making bananas a fairly good fiber source. Whit helps in proper digestion. On the other hand, eating more fiber from fruit and vegetables has repeatedly been linked with lower body weight and weight loss.
3. Strengthen’s Bones-Counteract calcium loss during urination and build strong bones by supplementing with a banana.
4. Improves Vision-Carrots may get all the glory for helping your eyes, but bananas do their share as well. The fruits contain a small but significant amount of vitamin A, which is essential for protecting your eyes, maintaining normal vision and improving vision at night, Vitamin A contains compounds that preserve the membranes around your eyes and are an element in the proteins that bring light to your corneas.
5. Protects from Kidney Cancer-Potassium is essential for blood pressure control and healthy kidney function. As a good dietary source of potassium, bananas may be especially beneficial for maintaining healthy kidneys.
6. Maintains oral health– Bananas are packed with vitamins, minerals, and potassium, bananas are loaded with positive health benefits. The fruit does not stick to teeth and the inner part of the banana peel can be an inexpensive, non-abrasive and effective way to help whiten your teeth, which also maintains the oral health.
7. Normal Heart Function– Bananas are a great dietary source of potassium. Which helps in maintaining the heart health.
8. Fights Anemia-Due to the high iron content in bananas, they are good for those suffering from anemia.
9. Soothes Stomach Ulcers-Eating bananas regularly may help protect against stomach ulcers. Over the long term, bananas thicken the protective mucus barrier in the stomach, preventing damage from hydrochloric acid. Bananas also contain protease inhibitors that help eliminate stomach bacteria which can cause stomach ulcers.
10. Provides Natural Energy– Bananas rank highly as a healthy energy source. Not only will your body thank you for the vitamin and mineral boost but the energy release will be much more consistent with having bananas.
Health Benefits of Banana Shake
- Banana shake has a natural antacid effect which protects against stomach ulcers and ulcer damage. Eating bananas help to stimulate the cells in your stomach that compose the acid-protective lining.
- Banana shake can provide relief for constipation and help normalize digestive function.
- Banana shake helps nourish helpful bacteria in your digestive tract which are responsible for aiding digestion and the production/processing of vitamins and minerals.
- Banana shake is a great source of vitamin B6, which plays a roll in the production of antibodies to fight off disease.
Health Benefits of Banana Stem Juice
- Banana stem juice helps in detoxification of the body. It is one of the best natural remedies to flush out all the toxins from the body and for kidney stones.
- Banana stem juice, when taken with the combination of cardamom, helps prevent the reformation of kidney stones and releases the calcium crystals from the kidney.
- This magical juice also helps in burning fats and maintaining weight.
- Banana stem juice has the ability to control acidity as well. The acidity level of the body can be regulated by having banana stem juice regularly.
- Due to the high amounts of Vitamin B6 and iron content banana stem juice helps in increasing the hemoglobin count in the body and cure anemia.
Health Benefits of Banana Leaves
- Banana leaves are high in polyphenols, a type of antioxidants. Antioxidants are needed to fight many disorders caused by free radicals in our body. It fights free radicals, thus preventing micro-inflammations caused by free radicals. That micro-inflammation can cause many degenerative diseases, such as atherosclerosis, Alzheimer, dementia, even cancers. High anti-oxidants is also known to prevent early aging signs such as wrinkled and dull skin. To get this benefits, we can drink banana leaves tea 1-3 times a day.
- Antioxidants and astringent contained in banana leaves are good substances to reduce inflammations, which often take form in fever. The astringent effect will also sooth the unease feeling of fever.
- A sore throat is a symptom of many respiratory-related illnesses, and mostly caused by a virus, so antibiotics may not help at all. A sore throat is really annoying, making us feel pain when swallowing foods or beverages. Drinking banana leaves decoction at least once a day can reduce a sore throat gradually.
- Allantoin and polyphenols in dried banana leaves can reduce intestinal bleeding in dysentery. We can drink the decoction at least once a day to stop the bleeding. The astringent effect also reduces the stomach pain due to a hyperperistaltic activity of intestines. The good news, banana leaves do not interfere with prescribed drugs, so in severe dysentery, we can take drugs and banana leaves tea/decoction together.
Health Benefits of Banana Peel
- Rub the banana peel every day for a week on your teeth for about a minute. This actually results in teeth whitening, which can cost a lot of money otherwise.
- Banana peels can also be eaten. You can find amazing Indian recipes that use banana peels. They are also used to tender chicken.
- The banana peel helps to keep your skin hydrated. Add an egg yolk to a mashed banana peel. Apply this mixture on your face and leave it for 5 minutes. Wash off after 5minutes.
- Just massage banana peels on your face and body for 5 minutes every day to cure pimples. The results should be visible within a week. Keep applying the peels till the acne disappears.
- Apply the peel on psoriasis affected area. The banana peel has moisturizing properties and also reduces itchiness. It will quickly heal psoriasis and you can see noticeable results within no time.
Health benefits of Banana Flower
- The banana flower has the ability to treat infection because it possesses ethanol flowers which helps to prevent the pathogenic bacterial growth. It can cure the wound as well. The extracts of banana flower help to prevent the growth of malaria parasites.
- It also helps in controlling the blood sugar level in the body and cures anemia.
- It increases the breast milk supply in women. t helps to cure the excessive bleeding, maintains a healthy uterus, restrict constipation during pregnancy and promotes lactation.
- It also has the anti-aging power.
- It improves the mood and lessens anxiety due to the magnesium present in banana flowers. They serve as anti-depressants without side effects.
- It helps you prevent from uterus problems keeping the uterus healthy.
- Banana flowers are rich in soluble and insoluble fiber. A soluble fiber allows the food to pass easily through the digestive tract as it dissolves in water and forms a gel. Insoluble fiber assists the bulk to undigested products as it is not dissolved in water. Both of it boost the healthy digestion and absorption of food.
- Banana flowers are a high source of tannins, acids, flavonoids and other antioxidants which helps to counteract free radicals and eliminates the oxidative damage which leads to cancer and heart disease.
As per the research, the recommended intake of potassium for adults is 4,700 milligrams per day. Fitness keeps you in shape as health is the real wealth. Consume a banana daily for a miraculous health and stay fit and disease free. So don’t forget to add a bunch of bananas the next time you’re out getting groceries.