Confused about whether to eat garlic or not? Well, the facts listed below might just help you to conclude better. Surprisingly, there are many amazing health benefits of adding this incredible Indian spice garlic to your day-to-day life. Some we know and there are plenty that we don’t. No other herb has served as many culinary and medicinal roles in as many cultures as garlic. So, let’s find out how the immense benefits of garlic on daily basis can help you improve your health, fitness and your daily life.
All About Garlic
Garlic is a plant which belongs to the onion family. It is closely related to the onion, turmeric, and ginger. Garlic grows in almost all parts of the world and is a popular ingredient in cooking due to its strong smell and its delicious taste. Garlic is something which was found 5000 years ago. Which is said to be one of the oldest plants of the world. Garlic is being used from the ancient times, apart from adding flavor to the food garlic is considered as one of the major ingredients for medicinal use as the research suggests endless benefits of garlic
Fun Facts about Garlic
- Garlic is one of the oldest cultivated crops. It was fed to the builders of the Great Pyramid in Egypt in the belief that it gave them strength and endurance.
- There are over 300 varieties of garlic grown throughout the world.
- Garlic is a member of the Lily family, which also includes onions, leeks, and shallots.
- Its pungent flavor is due to a chemical reaction that occurs when the garlic cells are broken. The flavor is most intense just after mincing.
- Garlic is said to fight off evil spirits and keep vampires away.
- Garlic can thin the blood similar to the effect of aspirin.
- Garlic and onions are toxic to cats and dogs.
Health Benefits of Garlic
Garlic contains the high amount of antioxidants which helps the human body to fight against infections and sickness. It helps to prevent cancer. Garlic is very effective when eaten raw, crushed or chopped.One clove of garlic per day may bring a major improvement in one’s overall health. 2 to 3 cloves daily can prevent a human body from common cold. Garlic juice can be used as an antiseptic against wounds. Also, garlic is a very good source to regulate metabolism and used as a detoxifying agent.
Nutritional Content of Garlic
Garlic is an excellent source of vitamins and minerals so let’s check the nutritional value of Garlic :
- Manganese: 23%-Manganese helps the body form connective tissue, bones, blood clotting factors, and sex hormones. It also plays a role in fat and carbohydrate metabolism, calcium absorption, and blood sugar regulation. Manganese is also necessary for normal brain and nerve function.
- Vitamin B6: 17%-Vitamin B6 in your diet is of great significance. This water-soluble vitamin is helpful in treating a vast number of problems related to the heart and skin, as well as depression, fatigue, the nervous system and much more.
- Vitamin C: 15%- Vitamin C, also known as ascorbic acid, is necessary for the growth, development, and repair of all body tissues. It’s involved in many body functions, including the formation of collagen, absorption of iron, the immune system, wound healing, and the maintenance of cartilage, bones, and teeth.
- Selenium:6%-Acts as an Antioxidant & defends against oxidative stress, boosts Immunity, can Help Boost Fertility. Help improves blood flow & lowers chance of heart disease
- Fiber:6 gram-Fiber promotes the movement of material through your digestive system and increases stool bulk, so it can be of benefit to those who struggle with constipation or irregular stools
- Few amounts of calcium, copper, potassium, phosphorus, iron and vitamin B1 are also found in garlic
- Garlic also contains trace amounts of various additional nutrients. In fact, it contains a little bit of almost everything a human body needs. Garlic contains 42 calories, with 1.8 grams of protein and 9 grams of carbs.
Reasons why Garlic is beneficial for you
1. Garlic helps cure common cold
Garlic contains certain compounds which help the human immune system to fight against germs and fights against the common cold. Eat one to two cloves of garlic every four hours, smell garlic or add it to the tea by crushing it.
2. Garlic reduces high blood pressure
Eat garlic to control the high blood pressure. It helps thin the blood and allows the easy blood circulation. It delivers a sufficient dosage of allicin. The research suggests the daily dose of at least 10 mg allicin, will help a person to maintain the high blood pressure. To get enough allicin eat 1 to 4 garlic cloves daily. As the allicin present in it relaxes the blood vessels. It also fights against thrombosis by reducing platelet aggregation.
3. Garlic lowers the risk of heart disease
Garlic contains allicin which is very much beneficial for the heart health, it also contains sulfur which is critical for cellular detoxification and chemical removal. It is absorbed well then quickly metabolized to benefit the cardiovascular system and the rest of the body.
4. Garlic helps boost immunity
Garlic is known as a superstar for boosting human immune system. As it contains calcium, potassium, sulfuric compounds, antifungal and anti-bacterial properties which help in improving the immune system.
5. Garlic helps to live longer
Garlic is the key to live a longer life. As garlic helps to improve the immune system and keeps you disease free. It will help you to stay young, disease free and live longer.
6. Garlic improves cholesterol level
Cholesterol has been one of the worst enemy of a man since for decades. Adding one clove of garlic to your daily meal will help you to reduce the cholesterol levels in the body.
7. Garlic improves bone health
Garlic is already known for its many health benefits and now the research suggests that it is very much beneficial for strengthening the bones. Due to the presence of vitamin B12, folic acid, vitamin B6 and arginine, it lowers the risk of arthritis, osteoporosis and keeps the bones healthy.
8. Garlic controls diabetes
Keep your blood sugar level under control naturally by consuming 2 to 4 cloves of garlic every day. Garlic is known to increase the amount of insulin released and regulates blood sugar in the blood.
9. Garlic treats eye infections and swelling
Other than the strong aroma of garlic, it is also famous and well known for its anti-inflammatory properties. Take some garlic juice and apply it over the affected area. It will give a soothing effect to the burning eyes. Garlic is rich in nutrients like selenium, quercetin and vitamin C, all of which help treat eye infections and swelling.
9. Garlic relives an earache
Prepare garlic oil by crushing 5 cloves of garlic 1/2 cup of oil and 20 drops eucalyptus oil. Apply this oil to the affected area of the ear to get rid of the infection in no time. As garlic oil is packed with antibacterial and antiviral properties, it will provide a lethal blow to your earache
10. Garlic treats intestinal problems
Adding garlic to your daily life will help you with eliminating all the digestive problems. The herb assists in the normal functioning of the intestines for good digestion. Even swelling or irritation of the gastric canal may be rectified with garlic as a treatment.
11. Garlic heals wounds
Garlic juice should be placed on infected wounds as an herbal and natural treatment. It should be mixed with three drops of water, rather than using it in raw form, as this strong and raw juice can irritate the skin.
12. Garlic helps cure Asthma:
Boiled garlic cloves play a major and an effective role as a natural asthma treatment. Having 3 cloves of boiled garlic with one glass of milk before going to bed every day, can bring subsequent relief for patients with asthma. The asthma attacks may be brought under control by having crushed garlic cloves with salt and vinegar as well
Health Benefits of Garlic and Honey
Combination of Garlic and honey comes with a lot of health benefits, so let’s check them in detail.
- It improves heart health: Garlic is one of the miraculous and amazing superfoods for heart health.
- It prevents heart disease, improves the cholesterol levels, improves blood circulation and controls high blood pressure.
- It reduces arthritis pain.
- Its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties help reduce inflammation associated with various forms of arthritis.
- It boosts immunity as garlic is a good source of vitamin C, vitamin B6 and minerals like manganese.
- Garlic fights against fungal infections due to its powerful anti-fungal properties.
- It also treats cold and cough antibiotic and antiviral benefits that make antibacterial properties make garlic a wonderful treatment for a cough and cold.
- It may also reduce the severity of upper respiratory infections.
Did you know that Garlic skin can also be beneficial?
Isn’t it surprising to read that the garlic papery white skin can also be useful? So don’t trash it, preserve it. Well it has many uses which might just surprise you so let’s have a look
- Peeling garlic cloves removes the phenylpropanoid antioxidants which is present in it and which helps you fight against the aging process and protect the heart.
- It has too many beauty benefits like you can use garlic skin as a spot treatment on acne and pimples by gently rubbing a sliced garlic skin mixed with honey over them.
- It also helps fight the aging process and protect the heart.
- Like the cloves, the skin is also great for boosting immunity and lowering cholesterol. You can also add it while making tea instead of discarding it.
Health Benefits of Garlic milk
Garlic milk is one of the most miraculous natural delicious drink as per Ayurveda which can cure a whole host of health disorders. Garlic milk will help you in many ways, let’s have a look.
- When garlic milk is taken before sleeping, this milk will help to induce restful sleep.
- Due to the anti-inflammatory properties, garlic milk is a great antidote for migraines and headaches.
- As garlic milk contains natural painkilling properties, it’s great for painful conditions such as sciatica and arthritis.
- Garlic and milk work together to dilate the blood vessels and clear them by dissolving the accumulated cholesterol.
- Garlic milk is one of the best foods that increase breast milk. Giving garlic milk to feeding mothers immediately after childbirth ensures good and sufficient breast milk supply.
- Garlic milk is one of the best home remedies for pneumonia.
- Garlic milk lowers the blood cholesterol. It penetrates deep tissues and clears the clogs.
- It boosts blood circulation and is heart friendly.
How to make garlic milk:
Take a cup of milk, add a few pinches of turmeric and some pepper powder, add 3 cloves of crushed garlic, boil well and the milk is now ready to drink.
Health Benefits of Garlic Juice
Garlic is being used as a natural medicine for thousands of years and it still continues. Let’s check some amazing health benefits of garlic juice.
- Garlic juice helps remove stagnancies in the blood and reduce clotting, which helps in maintaining cardiovascular health.
- Garlic juice will also strengthen your immune system and enable you to better fight diseases such as cancer.
- Garlic juice is used to maintain the sugar level in the body, which avoids the risk of diabetes in a person.
- Drinking garlic juice can help to lower the blood pressure. Garlic juice has strong antibacterial properties, which helps to get rid of acne easily.
- A mixture of a few drops of garlic juice, honey and a glass of water may help in controlling an asthma attack.
- Drinking a combination of few drops of garlic juice with warm milk (almond or coconut) may control infertility in women.
- It promotes weight loss.
Include Garlic as a part of your daily life to add positive health benefits to your life. Stay young, healthy, fit and disease free