Butter Chicken Recipes
Butter Chicken recipe is not that difficult as it look like. The dish i.e. Butter chicken or Murg Makkhanwala is one of the most popular non-vegetarian dish. This dish has found a place on almost all menu cards of Non-veg restaurants in India. Butter Chicken is a north Indian delicacy that is popular all over India. However, you’ll find slight change in taste and texture of the gravy and that is because of the regional preferences. Butter Chicken is said to have originated from the popular Moti Mohal restaurant in Daryaganj, Delhi.
Butter Chicken is a non vegetarian delicacy whose main ingredients includes butter, chicken, cream and some aromatic spices. It is usually made with boneless chicken and may differ depending on customer’s taste. The gravy is thick, creamy and rich. Some people do add Cashew paste to make it rich and flavorful. But the basic ingredients remain same. The chicken in the butter chicken dish is so tender and moist that it just slips in your mouth and melts. The flavors of butter chicken explodes in your mouth and gives you a sweet tangy flavor.
Butter chicken can be easily made at home. The recipe is simple and easy. Though it may look difficult, but if you have all the ingredients available in your kitchen, it is the simplest of all chicken gravies. Butter chicken in India is often served with butter naan or tandoori roti. It also tastes brilliant with plain steamed rice or jeera rice.
Butter Chicken Recipe
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 125ml (1/2 cup) natural yoghurt
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1kg chicken breast fillets, chopped
- 125g cashews, roasted
- 60g unsalted butter
- 1 tbs sunflower oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 Indian bay leaf or normal bay leaf
- 2 tsp sweet paprika
- 425g can tomato puree
- 150ml chicken stock
- 250ml (1 cup) thickened cream
- Steamed basmati rice, to serve
- Combine yoghurt, lemon juice, turmeric, garam masala, chilli, cumin, ginger and garlic in a bowl. Add chicken and stir well. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Reserve half the cashews and place remaining cashews in a food processor. Process until finely ground.
- Heat the butter and oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the onion, cardamom, cinnamon and bay leaf and cook for 2 minutes until the onion starts to soften. Reduce heat to low, then add chicken and marinade, paprika, tomato puree, cashew powder and stock. Simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in cream and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Garnish Butter chicken with cashews, chopped coriander and serve with Naan and steamed rice.