Best Time to Visit Darjeeling
Looking for best time to visit Darjeeling?
If yes, you have come to the right place. Best time to visit Darjeeling is from September till June.
Darjeeling is the Queen of India’s hill stations. Its setting is one of incomparable beauty. A Victorian town of old world charm ‘discovered’ by the British, it is almost completely surrounded by fragrant tea gardens which seem to flow over the layered slopes like emerald swells on a rough sea. These are in turn interspersed by untamed jungle of Fern and Bamboo, groves of sweet smelling Coniferous trees and hamlets lost and which may be the finest this earth has to offer, It hits one like Darjeeling’s true name, “Dorje Ling”, or ‘Place of the Thunderbolt’.
Darjeeling is a hill station located in the State of West Bengal in India and was a summer retreat for the British during their stay in India. This hill station is famous for its tea gardens and the scenic landscape. Tourism forms a major part of the local economy and people from all over India as well as the world come here to retreat from city life or to hit one of the trekking trails in the town. Darjeeling is best to visit during summers in rest of India. You should avoid visiting Darjeeling in monsoon, because you won’t be able to enjoy at all. The region witnesses a heavy rainfall each year. So the best time to visit Darjeeling is from September till June.
- Tea: Darjeeling is famous world over for its teas, which are very aromatic and have a delicate taste. Shops selling teas (usually owned by local tea gardens), dot the area in and around the Mall. Nathmulls is especially known for their tea and also ship worldwide. Stop by to smell the numerous varieties they have to offer.
- Curio items pertaining to Tibetan and Himalayan cultures, such as thangkas, miniature monasteries and garments made from yak wool.
- Posters and picture postcards, Das photo, the Mall. Excellent selection of posters and cards depicting scenes of the Himalayas.
- Do carry heavy woolen clothes if planning to travel between December till February
- Must have Thukpa, a noodle based recipe inspired from Tibetian cuisine. It tastes delicious.