Looking for best time to visit Amritsar?
If yes, you have come to the right place. Best time to visit Amritsar is from October till March.
Amritsar, the city of Golden Temple, is one of the major cities in northwestern India in the state of Punjab. It also happens to be a renowned Sikh pilgrimage site which is often frequented by visitors and Sikhs from all over the world. Thousands of pilgrims and tourists visit this holy city every year either for religious purposes or for taking in the religious ambiance that this city has to offer.
Best time to visit Amritsar is during the months of February, March, October, November and December. January is extreme cold, whereas April to September is extremely hot. The name of the city is derived from the lake that surrounds this beautiful temple; literally meaning – a lake of elixir.
Dotted with many Gurudwarahs or Sikh places of worship, the city is also home to the famous Golden Temple which is truly a sight to behold. Amritsar is located about 217 kms away from Chandigarh, the capital city of Punjab and about 466 kms away from the national capital Delhi. There are numerous other attractions that the city offers, other than religious shrines and temples, such as museums and places of historical importance. A visit to India is incomplete without at least a sojourn in this city of saints.
- Jallianwala Bagh; a must visit place
- Buy Punjabi Juttis (shoes) from the tiny shops near the Hall Bazaar flyover
- Do not forget to have Lassi (a curd based sweet drink).
- Remember, men and women are required to cover their heads while in any of the Gurudwaras. It is cumpulsory.
- At The Golden temple, photography is allowed on the outside ring of the holy lake, but not inside the actual temple itself.