Being a country where guests are treated like gods, India is a proud holder of some of the best hotels in the world.
Taj Mahal Palace – Grand Old Lady of Mumbai
About the Hotel
The Taj Mahal Hotel, Mumbai was born out of Jamsetji N. Tata’s dream. Mr. Tata believed that Bombay (now Mumbai), the commercial capital of India, required a grand hotel, one that would enhance its reputation amongst the great cities of the world. Jamsetji N. Tata was the visionary founder of India’s premier business house – the Tata Group. The Taj preceded 20 years before the Gateway of India.
The Taj is just 35 kms away from the international airport. Overlooking the Gateway Of India with a panoramic view of the bay, the hotel is situated minutes away from the central business districts of the city.
Features and Facilities
1. Great View – For a great view of Mumbai, go up to the ‘Sea Lounge’ and ask for a table by the window. Its also worth seeing the grand central stairway in the Hotel’s Old Wing.
2. Rooms and Services – The rooms are designed as per the victorian designs which prevailed when the hotel was made. It has not changed its style and is quite comfortable and large. Service staff are very attentive and at your beck and call.
3. Dining – The Taj has a number of Restaurants & Bars on the premises.
- Shamiana : 24-hour coffee shop
- Sea Lounge : Meeting place in Bombay for tea and light meals
- Harbour Bar : Bombay’s oldest bar
- Apollo Bar: The rooftop bar
- Lounge Bar: For the finest selection of wines
- Zodiac Grill : Continental gourmet dining. Also serves Power Breakfast. Being one of the most expensive restaurants in the city, dinner for two can come upto Rs.8000/-
- Golden Dragon : Authentic Sichuan cuisine
- Tanjore: Indian cuisine with classical dance performances in the evening
- 1900s : Bombay’s newest night club
4. Sightseeing and other events – The hotel is built near the Arabian Sea. Visitors can enjoy a walk after dinner in the moon light near the sea. Next to the hotel is the famous Gateway of India which is a must-visit monument for all tourists. Then one can go to the Elephanta Islands, which is an hour travel by boat, which is available near Gateway of India.
Oberoi Udaivilas in Udaipur
About the Hotel
Named the “best hotel in the world” by the US Travel and Leisure magazine, Oberoi Udaivilas in Udaipur is located in the heart of the Udaipur city. Built on the banks of the sparkling Lake Pichola, the hotel overlooks both the Aravalli Mountains and the latticed towers of Udaipur’s most beautiful historic landmark, the 16th-century City Palace.
Though the hotel is fully serviced by roads, guests are chauffeured from the airport to a jetty to make the final part of the journey by boat in order to enjoy the hotel’s best aspect.
Features and Facilities
1. Accommodation – Lavishly designed deluxe air conditioned rooms, luxury suites with swimming pools and tented dining accommodations, premiere rooms with excellent amenities and elegant décor and excellent view of the Lake Pichola.
The best of them all is the Kohinoor Suite which has fountained courtyards, massive private pools and wooden sauna for that perfect royal comfort.
2. Room Facilities – Centrally Air Conditioned, attached Baths, direct dial telephones, Channel Music, Tea/ Coffee Maker, Mini Bar, Safe Deposit Lockers, Morning Newspaper, Wake Up Facility, Television.
3. Dining – In-house restaurants that provide International cuisines and Authentic Rajasthani delicacies. Guests can can enjoy their lunch while boating on the blue waters of Lake Pichola or also inside the elegant interiors of the restaurants. The connoisseurs can also visit the well stocked bar of Oberoi Udaivilas Palace Udaipur.
Restaurants in the Palace:
- Udaimahal: Indian
- Suryamahal: Western and Continental
- Chandni: Open air dining space
- Bar: Well stocked bar
4. Business Facilities – The Oberoi Udaivilas Palace Udaipur is quite close to Delhi. One of the much preferred destinations, the Oberoi Udaivilas Palace Udaipur offers the facility of 7 equally equipped halls for meetings and conferences. The rooms have the best of audiovisual equipments and secretarial services.
The Oberoi Wildflower Hall
Situated in the beautiful city of Shimla, the Oberoi Wildflower Hall is perched on the mountain top. It looks like a castle in the air among the luscious green lofts covering the mountains. The hotel used to be an abode for King Kitchener of Khartoum.
Spice Village, Kerala
Spice Village is one of the hotels belonging to of the Casino group of hotels. Adjacent to the Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary and 190 kms from Cochin and 145 kms from Madurai.
Spice Village is in Kumily, a small settlement three kilometres from Thekkady which is the main entrance to the Periyar Tiger Reserve. The design of each cottage was inspired by the native tribesmen of Periyar, the Oorali and Mannan, who lived in similar dwellings.
There are several ways to explore the Periyar Tiger Reserve. The most popular is by boat, which allows visitors to watch animals drinking at the lakeside. Two hour trips are booked at Spice Village, and the best chance of sighting animals is in the early morning or at dusk. It’s an eerie sensation passing by the forest branches which poke out from the water, stretching through the mist like dead men’s fingers. Many animals come to the water’s edge and it is one of the few places in the world where elephants can be observed at close quarters from the safety of a boat.
It can be arranged for you to venture deep into the tropical forests. Accompanied by a tribal guide, you will be dropped off by boat at the far end of the lake, from where you proceed on foot, quickly leaving behind the crowds. It is only safe to travel at certain times of the day, but your guide will know more about the jungle than the wild animals which roam the savannah grasslands and woods.
For those who want more than just a taste of the delicious Kerala cuisine, cooking classes are held by the chef every evening. You get a chance to see for yourself how the dishes are so carefully made. You could also try your hand with the earthenware pots and pans and make your own variation of the Kerala savouries. The Kerala fish curry, appam, avial etc. have a very exotic flavour. The method of preparation is so different that it makes Kerala cuisine very distinct and liked by all. Enough reasons to watch, learn and try for yourself.
Kumarakom Lake Resort, Kerala
Kumarakom Lake Resorts resides on the banks of the beautiful Vembanad river. The best feature of this resort is its artificially built ‘Meandering swimming pool’, which is built inside the resort. If your lucky to stay in the Meandering pool villa, you can step into the swimming pool right outside your door.