Cashew nuts or just cashews (Kaju in Hindi) are one of the most favorite and healthy snacks to munch on. They are also well-known for their scrumptious desserts, like kaju katli, kheer, and so on. Cashews provide many heath benefits to your body, especially your heart. Do you why are cashews good for your heart? Packed with several nutrients, this kidney-shaped nut are beneficial for robust health of your heart. Read on to know how cashews work on keeping the heart diseases at bay.
Why are Cashews Good for Your Heart?
- Cashew nut contains zero cholesterol, which is the key for proper functioning of your heart.
- Cashews are great source of healthy dietary fats, including monounsaturated fats and polyunsaturated fats, which are good for your heart as well as your body.
- These fats help in reducing LDL cholesterol (bad cholesterol), which when increased may lead to cardiovascular diseases, like atherosclerosis or the hardening of arteries.
- Oleic acid (a form of monounsaturated fiber), found in cashews, helps in cutting down the risk of heart diseases.
- The unsaturated fats in cashew nuts have also shown to increase the level of HDL cholesterol (good cholesterol), reduce triglyceride levels, and even lower the blood pressure.
- The ability of cashews to lower blood pressure also owes to its high potassium and low sodium content. This proportion keeps the BP under control and reduces the risks of hypertension, heart attack, and stroke.
- Cashews are good for heart palpitations as well. Abundance amount of copper in cashews help in the metabolism of iron which prevents irregular heart beats.
- Cashew nut contains relative amount of vitamin E that has the potential to inhibit plaque formation in your arteries and ease the flow of blood.
- Another essential nutrient present in cashews is fiber. It lowers cholesterol level, blood pressure, inflammation, and ensure to improve the health of your heart.
- Cashew possesses beneficial amount of certain compounds, like omega-3 fatty acids which maintain your heart beats and prevent abnormal rhythms.
- L-arginine is another compound found in cashews that keeps the blood stream clear, combats clotting of blood, and thus keep your heart healthy.
Consumption of Cashews
Remember, no matter how beneficial the food is, excess consumption does no good to your health. Eating 5-6 cashew nuts in a day is enough to reap its benefits. You can eat it as a healthy snack and replace your cravings to have junk food.
Cashews indeed have numerous benefits for your heart, and absolutely good for heart patients. Adding them in your diet is a good option to relieve your heart from diseases and keep it in good health.