After 42 years the lokpal bill is still pending in India. The first Lokpal Bill was passed in the 4th Lok Sabha in 1969 but could not get through in Rajya Sabha, subsequently, Lokpal bills were introduced in 1971, 1977, 1985, 1989, 1996, 1998, 2001, 2005 and in 2008, yet they were never passed and its pending.
Draft Lokpal Bill 2010
- Lokpal will have no power to initiate suo moto action or receive complaints of corruption from the general public. It can only probe complaints forwarded by LS Speaker or RS Chairman.
- Lokpal will only be an Advisory Body. Its part is only limited to forwarding its report to the “Competent Authority”
- Lokpal will not have any police powers. It can not register FIRs or proceed with criminal investigations.
- CBI and Lokpal will have no connection with each other.
- Punishment for corruption will be minimum 6 months and maximum up-to 7 years.
Jan Lokpal Bill
- Lokpal will have powers to initiate suo moto action or receive complaints of corruption from the general public.
- Lokpal will be much more than an Advisory Body. It should be granted powers to initiate Prosecution against anyone found guilty.
- Lokpal will have police powers. To say that it will be able to register FIRs.
- Lokpal and anti corruption wing of CBI will be one Independent body.
- The punishment should be minimum 5 years and maximum up-to life imprisonment. Lokpal will not be a monopoly for particular area