10 Things to Know About Anna Hazare and Lok Pal Bill
Anna Hazare, the face of India’s fight against corruption, is a social activist who is on indefinite ‘fast unto death’ since April 5 2011. He is the man behind RTI revolution and now fighting against the large-scale corruption developing in the largest democratic nation in the world.
Following are 10 Things Every Indian should Know about Anna Hazare and Lok Pal Bill
1. Who is Anna Hazare?
- A social activist. An ex-army man. The only survivor of 1965 Indo-Pak War. The man behind RTI (Right To Information) movement. The man behind Model village Ralegan Siddi.
2. What’s so special about him?
- He built a village Ralegaon Siddhi in Ahamad Nagar district, Maharashtra
- Anna Hazare was awarded Padma Bhushan and is a known figure for his social activities.
3. So what?
- This village is a self-sustained model village. Energy is produced in the village itself from solar power, bio-fuel and wind mills.
- In 1975, it used to be a poverty clad village. Now it is one of the richest village in India. It has become a model for self-sustained, eco-friendly & harmonic village.
4. Really, what is he fighting for?
- He is supporting a cause, the amendment of a law to curb corruption in India.
5. How that can be possible?
- He is advocating for a Bil, The Lok Pal Bill (The Citizen Ombudsman Bill), that will form an autonomous authority who will make politicians (ministers), beurocrats (IAS/IPS) accountable for their deeds.
6. It’s an entirely new thing right..?
- In 1972, the bill was proposed by then Law minister Mr. Shanti Bhushan. Since then it has been neglected by the politicians and some are trying to change the bill to suit their theft (corruption).
7. Oh.. He is going on a hunger strike for that whole thing of passing a Bill ! How can that be possible in such a short span of time?
- The first thing he is asking for is: the government should come forward and announce that the bill is going to be passed.
- Next, they make a joint committee to DRAFT the LOK PAL BILL. 50% government participation and 50% public participation. Because you cant trust the government entirely for making such a bill which does not suit them.
8. Fine, What will happen when this bill is passed?
- A LokPal will be appointed at the centre. He will have an autonomous charge, say like the Election Commission of India. In each and every state, Lokayukta will be appointed. The job is to bring all alleged party to trial in case of corruptions within 1 year. Within 2 years, the guilty will be punished. Not like, Bofors scam or Bhopal Gas Tragedy case, that has been going for last 25 years without any result.
9. Is he alone? Who else is there in the fight with Anna Hazare?
- Baba Ramdev, Ex. IPS Kiran Bedi, Social Activist Swami Agnivesh, RTI activist Arvind Kejriwal and many more.
- Prominent personalities like Pritish Nandy, Anupam Kher, Aamir Khan, Hrithik Roshan are supporting his cause.
10. Ok, got it. What can I do?
- Spread the message.
- Putting status message, links, video, changing profile pics.
- At least we can support Anna Hazare and the cause for uprooting corruption from India.
- Hope that his Hunger Strike does not go in vain.
- Pray for his good health.