The president of Indian National Congress and Italian-born daughter in law of late PM Indira Gandhi; Sonia Gandhi is one of the eminent political leaders in India. Her journey from Sonia Maino to Sonia Gandhi has been a long one. From being a distant observer in a political household, Sonia has now occupied the center stage in Indian politics. Here I have listed few things that you may not know about but yet are quite surprising and interesting.
Following are the 10 things you didn’t know about Sonia Gandhi
- Sonia is very particular about keeping her home neat and clean. She often does the dusting of her room herself, especially before important meetings.
- We may not know that Sonia Gandhi is also an excellent chef. She often prepares red chilly oil, a base for salad dressing. Early in her marriage she was very fond of cooking and often followed many cookery books. She is also known to have often prepared delicious pasta for her mother-in-law Indira Gandhi. Other than pasta her expertise also lies in ‘gajar ka halwa’.
- A month after Sonia’s marriage, het mother was returning back to her home town Italy. To normalize the moment, mother-in-law Indira Gandhi sent a letter to her that stated: “Hi Sonia, this is just to tell you that we all love you.” That note won Sonia’s heart. She would call her mother-in-law mummy.
- Sonia is an avid reader of Munshi Premchand’s novels. Amongst that ‘Godaan’ is her favorite. Sonia has a diverse taste in books.
- Like our former Prime Minister P V Narasimha Rao, Sonia Gandhi too a gift for languages. She can speak nine languages including French and German.
- Sonia is very fond of handloom saris, especially traditional weaves. On her wedding day she wore a pink cotton sari woven by Nehru. Even daughter Priyanka also wore the same sari for her wedding.
- Sonia does yoga daily and strictly avoids pastas, pizzas and noodles. But she has a weakness for coffee in winters. She also takes few glasses of fresh orange juice. During her election campaigns, Sonia often has dal and roti.
- She has done a course in art restoration and paintings that continue to inspire her.
- Sonia was often spotted on Delhi roads sitting behind husband Rajiv Gandhi on his Lambretta scooter during the early days of their marriage. They often used to take Indira Gandhi for ice cream.
- On Sheikh Mujibur Rahman’s first visit to Delhi after the formation of Bangladesh, President VV Giri, PM Indira Gandhi and a pregnant Sonia gathered at the airport. The next day she gave birth to daughter Priyanka.